- Start level
- Target level
- Starting date
- Language of instruction
This is an online course. To be able to participate in this course, you are advised to use a headset with microphone. To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
The Korean 4 course is intended for those who have completed the Korean 3 course or have a comparable level (A2.1) of Korean. In this course, the topics covered include: more complex expressions related to introduction with honorific language, explaining a reason, talking about daily life, asking how to get somewhere, negotiating, may/may not, buying clothes, choosing a meal, rumors (indirect speech). The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, writing, reading and listening. Besides the language, this course also focuses on culture and society.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance. You can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. You can describe in simple terms aspects of your background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home (approximately three hours per lesson).
The course is concluded with a test. Participants who have attended 80% of the lessons and who have successfully completed the final test are awarded a certificate.
- Sogang Korean COMPACT SERIES 2. Student’s Book. Seoul: Sogang University Press. ISBN 9788992491792. Unit 1-9.
- Optional: Sogang Korean COMPACT SERIES 2. Work Book. Seoul: Sogang University Press. ISBN 9791161630045
- New Sogang Korean 2A Student’s Book. Seoul: Sogang University. ISBN: 9788992491266
The textbook Sogang Korean COMPACT SERIES 2 consists of 18 units and corresponds to level B1.1 of the CEFR/ERK. The content is divided into two courses. After the course Korean 4 you will reach level A2.2 (A2) and after following Korean 5 level B1.1.
The course material is not included in the course price. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves. (amazon.com, bol.com, Kooyker in Leiden).
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education diploma, including both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties who have no connection to Leiden University.
The course is open to any person aged 17 or older with a completed secondary school education.
- The maximum number of participants for this course is 12.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.