- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February, May (semi-intensive)
- Language of instruction
This is an online course.
To be able to participate in this course, you are advised to use a headset with microphone. To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
beginning of this course you will start communicating in Italian. The topics covered include: greeting, introducing yourself, daily life, interests and leisure activities.
The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, writing, reading and listening. In addition to the language, the course also focuses on Italian culture.
Short presentations will be prepared at home on topics such as leisure time, family and work.
After completing this course, you will be able to use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases. You can introduce yourself and ask and answer questions about personal details. You can interact in a simple way, provided that the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home. (approximately two hours per lesson)
The course is concluded with a test. A certificate is awarded if the test is completed successfully and the participant has attended 80% of the lessons.
- Al dente 1, new edition.
Corso d’italiano A1, Textbook/workbook (with cd audio/dvd); Marilisa Birello, Simone Bonafaccia, Andrea Petri, Albert Vilagrasa.
Uitgeverij Talenland B.V. – Edizioni Casa delle Lingue. ISBN 9789463250252 Edition: 1 - May 2017
Chapter 1 - 4
- Nuovo grammatica pratica della lingua italiana, Hueber Verlag Gmbh, ISBN 9783190153534, (in Italian)
- Praktische Grammatica Italiaans, Intertaal, ISBN 9789460304033 (in Dutch)
The textbook Al dente 1 is an Italian language course for foreign language speakers with an innovative approach and a focus on acquisition of vocabulary. The textbook Al Dente 1 consists of 8 chapters and corresponds to a complete level of the CEFR/ERK. The aim of this book is to guide you to level A1. The content is divided into two courses: Italian 1: chapter 1 to 4 and Italian 2: chapter 5 to 8. After the Italian 1 course you will reach level A1.1 and after following Italian 2 level A1.2 (A1).
The special Dutch edition contains translations of the assignment instructions from the textbook and workbook and a glossary per chapter and also an alphabetical glossary (Italian - Dutch).
The course material is not included in the course price. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and staff members and other interested parties with no relation to the University.
The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education.
- The maximum number of participants for an online course is 16 and for a classroom course is 18.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.