- Target group
- Start level
- Target level
- Language of instruction
Type of course
The course can be taught in-person or online. At 'timetable & registration' you find an overview of our courses.
In a classroom course, the teacher and all students are present in the classroom. To be able to participate online, you are advised to use a headset with microphone.To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check.
It is not possible to switch between courses once the course has started.
The French 2 course is intended for those who have completed the French 1 course or have a comparable level (A1.1) of French. From the beginning of this course, you will start communicating in French. The topics covered include: naming the months and seasons, talking about the weather, ordering in a restaurant, naming colors, telling what will happen in the future, describing past activities. The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, writing, reading and listening. Attention is also paid to the cultural context of the countries in which the language is spoken.
After completing this course, you will be able to use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases. You can introduce yourself and ask and answer questions about personal details. You can interact in a simple way, provided that the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home. (approximately two hours per lesson)
The course is concluded with a test. A certificate is awarded if the test is completed successfully and the participant has attended 80% of the lessons
- Entre nous 1 Livre de l’élève + Cahier d’activités + CD,
N. Pruvost, F. Courteaud.
Versie Talenland, ISBN 9789463250191, Unités 5 t/m 8.
- Grammaire progressive du français A1 niveau débutant 3e édition; M. Grégoire. ISBN 9789054514657
- Grammaire progressive du français A1 niveau débutant 3e édition, Corrigés. M. Grégoire. ISBN 9789054514725
The textbook Entre Nous 1 used in this course consists of eight chapters and corresponds to a complete level of the CEFR/ERK. The aim of this book is to guide you to level A1. The content is divided into two courses. After the course French 1 you will reach level A1.1 and after following French 2 level A1.2 (A1).
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves, well in advance. (for example at 'Talenland' online bookstore)
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and staff members and other interested parties with no relation to the University. The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education.
You can participate in this course if you have followed our French 1 course (old style), or if you have had 1 or 2 years of French in school. Potential participants who do not fulfil these entry requirements have to complete an entry test to determine whether their level is sufficient. This test is a computer test. It can either be taken at the Language Centre or downloaded and taken home.
- The maximum number of participants for an online course is 16 and for a classroom course is 18.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.