French 1+2 Intensive Summer Course
- Target level
- Start courses
- Language of instruction
- From June 1 onwards. You are advised to register on time. We will offer the course if we have sufficient registrations; this will be decided upon one week before the start of the course.
This is a traditional classroom course.
The teacher and students are present in the physical classroom at the Leiden location.
The language of instruction is French/English
For the French 1+ 2 Intensive Course no prior knowledge of the French language is required. From the beginning of this course, you will start communicating in French. The topics covered include: greeting, introducing yourself, talking about yourself and your family, describing a city and a neighbourhood, talking about your hobbies and interests, ordering in a restaurant, telling what will happen in the future, describing past activities. The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, writing, reading and listening. Attention is also paid to the cultural context of the countries in which the language is spoken.
After completing this course, you will be able to use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases. You can introduce yourself and ask and answer questions about personal details. You can interact in a simple way, provided that the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home. (approximately two hours per lesson)
The course is concluded with a test. A certificate is awarded if the test is completed successfully and the participant has attended 80% of the lessons.
- Entre Nous 1 Livre de l’élève + Cahier d’activités + CD; N. Pruvost. F. Courteaud. Versie Talenland ISBN: 9789463250191
- M. Grégoire, Grammaire progressive du français A1, niveau débutant, 3e édition. ISBN: 9789054514657
- M. Grégoire, Grammaire progressive du français A1, niveau débutant, 3e édition Corrigés. ISBN: 9789054514725
The textbook Entre Nous 1 used in this course consists of eight chapters and corresponds to a complete level of the CEFR/ERK. The aim of this book is to guide you to level A1.
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves, well in advance. (for example at 'Talenland' online bookstore)
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and staff members and other interested parties with no relation to the University. The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education. Knowledge of the French language is not required for enrolment in this course. It is a beginners course.
- The maximum number of participants for this course is 18.
- The course load is 112 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.