Due to Covid-19, this information is not applicable at the moment.
Gravensteen is a building with a long history. It was built at the beginning of the 13th century and served as a private prison of the Dutch earls ("graven"). One hundred years later Gravensteen was donated to the city of Leiden and became a public jail. Towards the end of the 19th century, the building was no longer used as such. Before Leiden University took over the building, it served shortly as a book store. Gravensteen was deemed appropriate for the Faculty of Law and History. Later on, in 2006, the International Office of Leiden University was located there and as of 2011 the Educational Affairs department has also moved in. Additionally, this building is also the home of the editorial office of the Leiden University journal “Mare”. The last punishment carried out in Gravensteen was in 1853, so participants of our workshop have no reason to be afraid of anything.
2311 SR Leiden