- Target group
- Start level
- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February
- Language of instruction
This is a traditional classroom course.
The teacher and students are present in the physical classroom at the Leiden location.
Persian 1 for beginners is a basic course in language
For the Persian 1 course no prior knowledge of the language is required. You will be introduced to the Persian alphabet and the pronunciation of the Persian language. In this course, the topics covered include: introducing yourself, greeting, your work and studies. The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, writing, reading and listening. Besides the language, this course also focuses on culture and society.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. You can introduce yourself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details. You can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home (approximately two hours per lesson).
The course is concluded with a test. Participants who have attended 80% of the lessons and who have successfully completed the final test are awarded a certificate.
The course material is not included in the course price. Participants can purchase it from the teacher.
The costs for the course material amount to 35 Euros.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education diploma, including both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties who have no connection to Leiden University.
The course is open to any person aged 17 or older with a completed secondary school education. There are no entry requirements with respect to knowledge of Persian. A basic knowledge of English is required.
- The maximum number of participants for this course is 14.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.