- Target group
- Start level
- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February, May (semi-intensive)
- Language of instruction
This is an online course. To be able to participate in this course, you are advised to use a headset with microphone. To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
The Japanese 2 course is intended for those who have completed the Japanese 1 course or have a comparable level (A1.1) of Japanese. You will be introduced to the Japanese characters and the pronunciation of the Japanese language. In this course, the topics covered include: describing a day in your life, asking someone to help, asking the way, asking for permission, introducing your family members, describing people’s qualities, comparing two things, giving recommendations, describing the character of people or things, talking about your experiences. The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Besides the language, this course also focuses on culture and society.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. You can introduce yourself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details. You can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home (approximately three hours per lesson).
The course is concluded with a test. Participants who have attended 80% of the lessons and who have successfully completed the final test are awarded a certificate.
- Japanese for Busy People 1, Les 17 t/m 25. ISBN 9781568363844.
- Japanese for Busy People 2, Les 1 t/m 5. ISBN 9781568363868.
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education diploma, including both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties who have no connection to Leiden University.
The course is open to any person aged 17 or older with a completed secondary school education.
Participants who have successfully completed the Japanese 1 course of the Academic Language Centre, or who can prove in some other way that they possess the required entry level can sign up. A basic knowledge of English is required.
- The maximum number of participants for an online course is 16 and for a classroom course is 18.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.