French Conversation B1
- Start level
- Start courses
- Language of instruction
This is a traditional classroom course.
The teacher and all students are present in the classroom.
The French Conversation course B1 is intended for those who have followed the French 5 or French 6 course or have a comparable level (B1) of French. From the beginning of this course, you will start communicating in French. In this course, speaking skills are practiced on the basis of articles from newspapers and magazines. The topics covered include: society, art, literature, politics and economy. In the lessons, the topics highlighted in the articles are discussed. Attention is paid to pronunciation, expanding vocabulary and, if necessary, grammar. The course aims to enable the students to express themselves fluently and adequately in French.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure etc. You can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. You can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. You can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home. (approximately two hours per lesson)
- Grammaire Progressive intermédiaire (bleue); E. Franco, M. Grégoire, A. Kostucki, O. Thiévenaz. ISBN: 9782090381030
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
This course is intended for highly educated adults, both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties with no affiliation with Leiden University.
The French Conversation B1 course is intended for participants who have taken the French 5 or French 6 course or have a comparable level (B1).
Other participants should complete an entry test to determine whether their level is appropriate. This test is a computer test. You can do the test at the Language Centre, or you can download the test and do it at home.
- The maximum number of participants for this course is 14.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.