- Target group
- Start level
- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February
- Language of instruction
This is a traditional classroom course. The teacher and students are present in the physical classroom at the Leiden location.
The French 4 course is intended for those who have completed the French 3 course or have a comparable level (A2.1) of French. From the beginning of this course, you will start communicating in French. The topics covered include: sport, health, lifestyle, work, environment, talking about the future, expressing conditions, discussing actualities. The necessary grammar is explained and ample attention is paid to vocabulary. All skills are covered: speaking, writing, reading and listening. Attention is also paid to the cultural context of the countries in which the language is spoken.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance. You can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. You can describe in simple terms aspects of your background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home. (approximately two hours per lesson)
The course is concluded with a test. A certificate is awarded if the test is completed successfully and the participant has attended 80% of the lessons.
- Entre nous 2, Livre de l’élève + Cahier d’activités + CD, T. Chahi, C. Huor.
Versie Talenland, ISBN 9789463250207. Unités 5 t/m 8.
- Grammaire progressive du français niveau intermédiaire, 4e édition avec 680 exercises. Thiévenaz, O. CLE International. ISBN 9789462939004
- Corrigés grammaire progressive du français niveau intermédiaire, 4e édition avec 680 exercises. Thiévenaz, O. CLE International. ISBN 9789462939011
The textbook Entre Nous 2 used in this course consists of eight chapters and corresponds to a complete level of the CEFR/ERK. The aim of this book is to guide you from level A1 to level A2. The content is divided into two courses. After the course French 3 you will reach level A2.1 and after following French 4 level A2.2 (A2).
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves, well in advance. (for example at 'Talenland' online bookstore)
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and staff members and other interested parties with no relation to the University.
The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education. You can participate in this course if you have completed our French 3 course or if you have had four years of French in secondary school. Potential participants who do not fulfil these entry requirements have to complete an entry test to determine whether their level is sufficient. This test is a computer test. It can either be taken at the Language Centre or downloaded and taken at home.
- The maximum number of participants for an online course is 16 and for a classroom course is 18.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.