- Target group
- Starting level
- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February
- Language of instruction
Online course / Hybrid course
Arabic 2 is offered as an online course and as a hybrid course.
The language of instruction in the online course is English/Arabic.
The language of instruction in the hybrid course is English/Arabic.
In the online course all students attend the lessons online.
When registering for this classroom course (via Timetable & Registration) please select 'Arabisch 2 ONLINE'.
In the hybrid course, the teacher and some students are present in the classroom; the other students attend the lessons online.
When registering for this hybrid course (via Timetable & Registration) please select either 'Arabisch 2 HYBRIDE KLASSIKAAL' or 'Arabisch 2 HYBRIDE ONLINE'.
To be able to participate online, you are advised to use a headset with microphone.
To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
The Arabic 2 course is a beginner’s language acquisition course which requires some prior knowledge of the language. All skills are addressed in the course: speaking, listening, writing and reading. In addition, the course also focuses on vocabulary and grammar. Making use of practical situations, participants can practice both informal and professional language use. Furthermore, society and culture are also covered. You should take into account that every lesson involves a preparation time of approximately three hours.
The course is concluded with a written test. A certificate is awarded if the test is completed successfully and the participant has attended 80% of the lessons.
- Wightwick, J. en Mahmoud Gaafar, Mastering Arabic 1, Third Edition, with audio and video 'free-to-access' online. Unit 8 - 12. ISBN 9781137380449.
- Wightwick, J. en Mahmoud Gaafar, Mastering Arabic 1 Activity Book, Second Edition. Unit 8 - 12
ISBN 9780781813396 or ISBN 9781137372260
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education diploma, including both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties who have no connection to Leiden University. The course is open to any person aged 17 or older with a completed secondary school education.
You can register for this course if you have successfully completed the Arabic 2 course of the Academic Language Centre, or if you can demonstrate in some other way that you possess the required entry level. A basic knowledge of English is required.
- The maximum number of participants for an online course is 14 and a classroom course is 16.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.