Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research
The Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is responsible for the research and education in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences carried out at Leiden University.
Mission and objectives
The LACDR aims to be one of the leading academic centres in the world in learning, in teaching, and in advancing innovative drug research, developing knowledge and expertise crucial for drug discovery, evaluation and (clinical) application. This involves fundamental understanding of drug action as the basis for efficacy and safety of drugs.
- state-of-the-art multidisciplinary drug research, including the discovery of new mechanisms of drug action, the design and (bio)synthesis of new biologically active molecules, the in vitro and in vivo evaluation of drug activity and disposition (efficacy, safety, dosage regimen) and the development of new strategies for drug delivery and targeting;
- training of undergraduate students, to become theoretically and experimentally trained in all relevant aspects of drug research and to gain hands-on experience on specialized research projects, leading to a Masters Degree in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences;
- training of graduate students, to become highly skilled and independent in experimental drug research through a specific 4-year' project, leading to publications in the international scientific literature and the PhD degree;
- collaboration with the (pharmaceutical) industry, in joint research projects and consultancies and by offering specialized courses and symposia in relevant areas of drug research.
LACDR Management Team
All executive decisions are made by the Management Team (MT). The MT is responsible for the daily management of the institute, and develops and implements research policies. Being responsible for preparing and executing the decisions of the Institute, the MT is the referring point on policy and budgetary questions.
The MT has regular contact with the Institute Council, the External Scientific Advisory Board, the research Divisions and the Staff.
The members of the LACDR Management team:
- Director of Research, Professor Hubertus Irth
- Director of Education, dr. Miranda van Eck
- Institute Manager, drs. Suzanne van der Pluijm
- Manager of the Cluster BioTherapeutics Johan Kuiper
- Manager of the Cluster Systems Pharmacology Thomas Hankemeier
- Manager of the Cluster Drug & Target Discovery Bob van de Water
LACDR Institute Council
The LACDR Institute Council offers the LACDR Management Team sollicited and unsollicited advice on various matters of policy. If you have any matters you would like to bring to the attention of the Institute Council, do not hesitate to contact one of their members.
The Institute Council (IR) of the LACDR is composed of people from all divisions, from all layers of the organisation (including students). The IR aims to serve as a bridge between the ‘working floor’ and the management team of the LACDR. During regular meetings (once in two months) we advice the management team of the LACDR and brings point to attention. Topics that are frequently discusses are: work pressure, education, student numbers, movement to new building, diversity, etc.
Meet us every first Monday of the month
Every first monday of the month we hold a walk-in meeting in the Science Club, between 13:00 and 14:00. You are heartily welcome to visit and bring in any topic you wish! On behalf of all IR members.
- The next walk-in meeting will be held at monday the 1st of February
The current LACDR Institute Council members and their contact details are:
- Peter Lindenburg (chair)- Postdoc - Division Analytical Biosciences
- Laura Heitman - Assistant Professor - Division Medicinal Chemistry
- Sylvia Blind - Lecturer
- Jantine Brussee - Postdoc - Division Pharmacology
- Gerwin Spijksma - Analist - Division Analytical BioSciences
- Ine Tijdens - Technician - Division Toxicology
- Walter Boiten - Postdoc - Division Drug Delivery Technology
- Christophe Mombers - student
The Institute Council has regular meetings with the LACDR Management Team and convenes approximately once per 3 months.
Notes from these meetings are available for LACDR employees, please mail Chair Peter Lindenburg if you would like to request a copy.
Paragraph 47 and 48 from "facultair reglement" decribe the responsibilities of the Institute Council in more detail. Below you can find these paragraphs as well as an English Translation.