Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research
The Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is responsible for the research and education in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences carried out at Leiden University.
About the LACDR
The LACDR as a research-institute works at the leading edge of drug-design and fundamental research of new drugs, improvements and optimisation of existing drugs, and new developments in personalised medicine. Within Leiden University we participate in the research profile area of 'Bioscience: the science base of health'
As an academic centre, we are also very strongly involved in education on several levels:
- Training of undergraduate students, to become theoretically and experimentally trained in all relevant aspects of drug research and to gain hands-on experience in specialized research projects, leading to a Masters Degree in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences;
- Training of graduate students, to become highly skilled and independent in experimental drug research through a specific 4-year project, leading to publications in international scientific literature and the PhD degree;
- Collaboration with the (pharmaceutical) industry, in joint research projects and consultancies and by offering specialized courses and symposia in relevant areas of drug research.
LACDR Management Team
All executive decisions are made by the Management Team (MT). The MT is responsible for the daily management of the institute, and develops and implements research policies. Being responsible for preparing and executing the decisions of the Institute, any questions on policy and budgetary matters should be referred to the MT.
The MT has regular contact with the Institute Council, the External Scientific Advisory Board, the Research Divisions and the Staff.
The members of the LACDR Management team:
- Director of Research, Prof. dr. Hubertus Irth
- Director of Education, Prof. dr. Miranda van Eck
- Institute Manager, drs. Suzanne van der Pluijm
- Manager of the Cluster BioTherapeutics Prof. dr. Johan Kuiper
- Manager of the Cluster Systems Pharmacology Prof. dr. Thomas Hankemeier
- Manager of the Cluster Drug & Target Discovery Prof. dr. Bob van de Water
LACDR Institute Council
The LACDR Institute Council offers the LACDR Management Team solicited and unsolicited advice on various matters of policy. If you have any matters you would like to bring to the attention of the Institute Council, do not hesitate to contact one of their members.
The Institute Council (IR) of the LACDR is composed of people from all divisions, from all layers of the organisation (including students). The IR aims to serve as a bridge between the ‘working floor’ and the management team of the LACDR. During regular meetings (once every two months), the IR advices the management team of the LACDR and brings points to their attention. Topics that are frequently discussed are: work pressure, education, student numbers, movement to new building, diversity, etc.
Meet us every first Monday of the month
Every first Monday of the month we hold a walk-in meeting in the Science Club, between 13:00 and 14:00. Please do not hesistate to visit and to discuss any topic or matter you wish! On behalf of all of the IR members.
The current LACDR Institute Council members and their contact details are:
- Laura Heitman (chair) - Associate Professor - Division Medicinal Chemistry
- Sylvia Blind (vice-chair) - Lecturer
- Gerwin Spijksma - Analist - Division Analytical BioSciences
- Walter Boiten - PhD candidate - Division Drug Delivery Technology
- Abidemi Junaid - PhD candidate - Division Analytical BioSciences
- Thecla Meyknecht - Secretary - Education Office
- Joost Beltman - Assistant Professor - Division Toxicology
- Sylvia Le Dévédec - Assistant Professor - Division Toxicology
- Isabelle Kohler - Assistant Professor - Division Analytical BioSciences
- Michiel van Esdonk - PhD candidate - Division Pharmacology
- Gerard van Westen - Assistant Professor - Division Medicinal Chemistry
Notes from these meetings are available for all LACDR employees, please mail Chair Laura Heitman if you would like to request a copy.
Paragraph 47 and 48 from "facultair reglement" decribe the responsibilities of the Institute Council in more detail. Below you can find these paragraphs as well as an English Translation.