Getting to the Netherlands
There are two airports near Leiden:
Leiden has several train stations, with Leiden Central Station (Leiden Centraal) being the closest to the conference venue. The Dutch train network is connected to the Belgian, French and German networks. From London you can reach Leiden via a connection with the Eurostar. For more information, please visit the Dutch international railway website.
Getting to Leiden
Information about the train and bus schedules is available on the following websites:
- Dutch National Railways (NS:) You can plan your journey on the NS website or via their mobile app (NS Reisplanner Xtra) which is available in English.
- 9292ov, all public transportation combined: You can plan your full journey (train, bus, metro, etc.) via the website 9292.nl or use their mobile app which is also available in English.
A few years ago, public transportation companies have introduced the "ov-chipcard". This is a card introduced to pay for rides on all forms of public transportation. To pay for your journeys, you have to load money on the card, and then check in and out before and after each journey. Unfortunately, the system is quite complicated, and many tourists are struggling with it. If you want to prepare, you can read some information about the different types of cards, and the specific information for tourists.
From the airports
- Schiphol: There is a direct train from Schiphol to Leiden Centraal, this takes 15-20 minutes.
- Rotterdam - The Hague Airport: There are two options to travel from the airport to Leiden. The first is probably the easiest, but, depending on the departure time, the second option might be quicker. You can compare the routes via the 9292 website/app.
- Take bus 33 to Rotterdam Central Station (Rotterdam Centraal), and travel further by train to Leiden Central Station (Leiden Centraal).
- Take bus 33 to metro station Meijersplein and from there take the metro to the train station Den Haag Laan van NOI. From this station you can travel further to Leiden Central Station (Leiden Centraal) by train.
Getting around in Leiden
The city centre of Leiden is quite small, so most places that you plan to visit will be reachable on foot.
There are buses that can take you to many places in Leiden. You can plan your journey via the 9292.nl website.
Maybe you would like to get the full Dutch experience, and rent a bike to get around Leiden? There are many places to rent a bike.