2 Assistant_Associate Professors in Artificial Intelligence
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 23 januari 2024
- 29 februari 2024 Nog 3 dagen om te solliciteren
The Faculty of Science, Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS), is looking for:
2 Assistant/Associate Professors in Artificial Intelligence(0.8-1.0 FTE)
The rapid evolution and expansion of Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science and the increasing integration with other disciplines creates new challenges in developing and understanding modern computation in its foundations, applications, and societal consequences. Our institute is at the center of this transformation, and we aim to strengthen our research and education in artificial intelligence. We are looking for candidates with expertise complementary to the one that is already present at LIACS and related to generative AI, human centered AI, interactive machine learning, and computational creativity.
There are more opportunities than boundaries at LIACS; you will be a member of existing or new research groups and are expected to work well in our culture of cross-group collaboration. Assistant and associate professors teach courses about their research topics, supervise students, and are expected to develop connections inside and outside our institute, with other stakeholders inside and outside Leiden University. The social values of LIACS are fun, inclusivity, openness, and teamwork.
Positions at LIACS have a good balance between teaching and research, giving the candidates time to write research proposals and further build their research lines and their careers. The level of the position will be commensurate with your level of experience.
- Conducting independent research in your field;
- Teaching relevant courses at BSc and MSc level;
- Willing to get the University Teaching Qualification (BKO) within 2 years;
- Supervising BSc and MSc students;
- (Co-)supervising PhD students;
- Securing external funding for research;
- Engaging in committees and organizing activities in your research group, the institute, and in the relevant initiatives in Leiden and the Netherlands.
- PhD degree in Artificial Intelligence or Computer Science;
- Proven independence in doing research at the postdoc level or beyond;
- Good publication record and experience in raising research funds;
- Proven track record in teaching;
- Able to work independently, in a team, and in a student (co-)supervisory role;
- An academic, creative, and open mindset;
- Good to excellent proficiency in English.
- Depending on the level at which applicants decide to apply, criteria such as leadership, scientific vision, national and international recognition, and visibility, are also important criteria.
Research at our Faculty/Institute
The Leiden Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. Our people are driven by curiosity to expand fundamental knowledge and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline.
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is diverse, ranging from artificial intelligence, computer science, mathematics, astronomy, physics, chemistry, and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 1,300 staff and almost 4,000 students. We are located at the heart of one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
The Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) is the Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science Institute of the Faculty of Science of Leiden University. We offer courses at the Bachelor and Master of Science level in the core areas of Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, and Data Science, and in the interdisciplinary areas of ICT in Business, Media Technology and Creative Science, and Bioinformatics. We are a highly international place to do research, and we strive for excellence in a caring institute, where excellence, fun, and inclusiveness go hand in hand. We offer a clear and inviting career path to young and talented scientists with the ambition to grow.
Terms and conditions
We offer a position commensurate with your level of experience, initially for one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the research and personal compatibility, the appointment can be extended further to a permanent one. The salary ranges, depending on qualifications and experience, from
€ 4.332,- to € 8.025,- gross per month, following the pay scales 11 - 14 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development, and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses, we have set up a dual career program. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Diversity and inclusivity
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community that enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High-quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Enquiries can be made to prof.dr. Marcello Bonsangue, scientific director, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the procedure, please contact email@example.com
Please submit online your application no later than Feb 29, 2024 via the blue button in our application system. Please ensure that you attach the following additional documents, quoting the vacancy number:
- A short cover letter (1 page) detailing your motivation to apply for the position;
- A brief description of your research plan;
- A brief description of your teaching experience;
- A full CV including a list of publications, grant acquisition, community service, and a link to your Google Scholar page;
- Links to key publications and PhD thesis when appropriate;
- The names and addresses of at least two persons who can be contacted for reference (who have agreed to be contacted).