Assistant Professor in Theoretical Computer Science
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 23 januari 2024
- 29 februari 2024 Solliciteer vandaag
The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) are looking for:
Assistant Professor in Theoretical Computer Science (0.8-1.0 FTE)
The Theory group at Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) is seeking candidates for an Assistant Professor (0.8-1.0 FTE) position, working on algebraic and logical methods for the specification and verification of software systems. Logic and algebra play pivotal roles in formal methods, which are systematic techniques employed in computer science and software engineering to specify, design, and verify complex systems. The importance of logic lies in its ability to provide a formal and rigorous framework for reasoning about the behavior of systems. Algebraic structures, such as Kleene and process algebras, are fundamental for modelling and analyzing the dynamic aspects of complex systems, including their interactions and transformations.
The ideal candidate will have a track record in research that connects Logic, Algebra, and Formal Methods, for example in automata theory, process algebra, and model learning. The candidate will be embedded in the Theory group, and it is expected to work well in our culture of cross-group collaboration. The position will have a good balance between teaching and research, giving the candidate time to write research proposals and further build their research lines and career. The level of the position will be commensurate with the candidate's level of experience.
- Conducting independent research in your field;
- Teaching one course at BSc and one at MSc level;
- Willing to get the University Teaching Qualification (BKO) within 2 years;
- Supervising BSc and MSc students;
- (Co-)supervising PhD students;
- Securing external funding for research;
- Engaging in committees and organizing activities in your research group, the institute, and in the relevant initiatives in Leiden and the Netherlands.
- PhD degree in Computer Science on a Formal Method topic;
- Proven independence in doing research at the postdoc level or beyond;
- Good publication record and experience in raising research funds;
- Proven track record in teaching;
- Able to work independently, in a team, and in a student (co-)supervisory role;
- An academic, creative, and open mindset;
- Good to excellent proficiency in English is required;
- Willing to start before the end of August 2024.
Research at our Faculty/Institute
The Leiden Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. Our people are driven by curiosity to expand fundamental knowledge and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline.
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is diverse, ranging from artificial intelligence, computer science, mathematics, astronomy, physics, chemistry, and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 1,300 staff and almost 4,000 students. We are located at the heart of one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
The Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) is the Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science Institute of the Faculty of Science of Leiden University. We offer courses at the Bachelor and Master of Science level in the core areas of Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, and Data Science, and in the interdisciplinary areas of ICT in Business, Media Technology and Creative Science, and Bioinformatics. We are a highly international place to do research, and we strive for excellence in a caring institute, where excellence, fun, and inclusiveness go hand in hand. We offer a clear and inviting career path to young and talented scientists with the ambition to grow.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time position initially for one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the research and personal compatibility, the appointment can be extended further to a permanent one. The salary ranges, depending on qualifications and experience, from € 4.332,- to € 5.929,- gross per month (pay scale 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training, and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions.
Diversity and inclusivity
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community that enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High-quality teaching and research are inclusive.
Please submit online your application no later than Feb 29, 2024 via the blue button in our application system. Please ensure that you attach the following additional documents, quoting the vacancy number:
- A short cover letter (1 page) detailing your motivation to apply for the position,
- A brief description of your research plan,
- A full CV including a list of publications, eventual grant acquisition and community services, and a link to your Google Scholar page,
- Links to key publications and Ph.D. thesis when appropriate,
- The names and addresses of at least two persons that can be contacted for reference (who have agreed to be contacted).