PhD candidate in antiviral translational pharmacology
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 17 oktober 2023
- 14 november 2023 Vacature gesloten
The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) are looking for a:
PhD candidate in antiviral translational pharmacology
Vacancy number: 14167
We are looking for an ambitious PhD candidate to join our division Systems Pharmacology and Pharmacy, LACDR at Leiden University. The successful PhD applicant will perform innovative research in the fields of antiviral pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
Viruses with pandemic potential are continuously emerging. Novel antiviral therapies need to be developed efficiently and rapidly. The understanding of drug exposure-response relationships is central to all antiviral drug development. Currently, the knowledge of antiviral exposure-response is limited and it is an understudied phenomenon. This project focuses mainly on cytomegalovirus therapy optimisation. Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a human Herpesvirus that causes significant mortality and morbidity in immunocompromised patients. The first-line drug, ganciclovir, exhibits significant toxicity and resistance is common. There is little understanding on the emergence of resistance.
In this project, in vitro viral models will be utilised to develop antiviral dosing regimens that maximise viral killing, suppress the emergence of resistance and are applicable for other viruses. The PhD candidate will work on developing novel in vitro infection models to design dosing regimens for antivirals used for the treatment of viruses (e.g., cytomegalovirus), collaborate in developing PK/PD models and will be involved in design and execution of clinical studies. Both experimental data and clinical data will be utilized to support the analysis to derive optimal treatment strategies for cytomegalovirus. This research project will help optimize therapy in vulnerable patients with compromised immune system.
- Conduct original, novel, and collaborative research in the framework of the project and complete your PhD thesis within 4 years;
- Publish scientific articles at international peer-review journals;
- Present at national and international conferences;
- Support education activities in the bachelor and master programs of biopharmaceutical sciences;
- Engage in collaborations between internal and external research groups;
- Follow PhD courses based on an individual training and supervision plan.
- A Master’s degree in a (bio-) pharmaceutical, biomedical sciences, pharmacy, or biology, or a similar master’s degree.
- Knowledge on PK/PD and (clinical) pharmacology
- Prior experience with mammalian cell culture and biochemical/molecular biology techniques
- Full proficiency in English (provide an IELTS/TOEFL score if available)
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Interested in participating in educational tasks
- Prior experience working with viruses (e.g., plaque assays)
- Knowledge on viral biology
- Experience in qPCR, flow cytometry
- Experience in LC-MS/MS assay development
- Experience in PK/PD modelling
- Experience in using scientific scripting languages (R, Python)
Working at the Faculty of Science means being part of an exciting, dynamic scientific environment which sets high standards for its students and staff. The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is diverse, ranging from computer science, mathematics, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences.
The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2,300 staff and over 5,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together. For more information, see https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/science.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time appointment of initially one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the research, teaching evaluations, personal capabilities and compatibility, the appointment will be extended for another three years. You will be appointed in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The salary ranges from € 2.770,- per month in the first year to € 3.539,- gross per month in the fourth year based on a full-time position (pay scale P).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career program. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see the website: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
All our PhD students are embedded in the Leiden University Graduate School of Science. Our graduate school offers several PhD training courses at three levels: professional courses, skills training and personal effectiveness. In addition, advanced courses to deepen scientific knowledge are offered by the research school.
Diversity and work-life balance
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups. LACDR is a highly diverse institute, in culture, background, and gender. We stand for excellence in a caring Institute. We wish to reflect society in all aspects, as we believe that this improves the dynamics in our organization. Therefore, we support and understand the need for a work/life/family balance and consequent varying working hours and places. We believe that doing good science is fun, and goes hand in hand with a friendly culture.
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Anne-Grete Märtson (email@example.com). If you have any questions about the procedure, please contact Ms. Mingmin Gong (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To apply for this vacancy, please submit your application online via the blue button below. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents (in pdf format) quoting the vacancy number:
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter (maximum one page), explaining how your experience and interests match with this PhD project.
- Contact information of at least three potential references preferably including your previous supervisor(s)
Only applications received before 14 November 2023 can be considered.