Two Lecturers in Sustainability and Environmental Sciences
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Intern , Extern
- Geplaatst op
- 6 juni 2023
- 25 juni 2023 Nog 15 dagen om te solliciteren
The Faculty of Science and the Institute of Environmental Sciences are looking for:
2 Lecturers in Sustainability and Environmental Sciences
Vacancy number: 13750
Description of the position
Join our team of interdisciplinary thinkers! The Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML) at Leiden University is seeking two Lecturers to help us deliver high-quality education in sustainability and environmental sciences. As a Lecturer, you will have the opportunity to work on our interdisciplinary Master’s programmes in Industrial Ecology and Governance of Sustainability and our Minor in Sustainable Development.
We are looking for dynamic and proactive candidates with an MSc degree or a PhD in Industrial Ecology, Sustainability, Environmental Sciences or a related field. You will have the chance to connect the dots between different fields and help students to develop their academic and professional skills. You will work in a multidisciplinary team and mentor students as they embark on their higher education journey.
If you have a fluent command of the English language, are eager to contribute actively to improving the quality of education, and have a proactive and adaptive attitude, we would love to hear from you. Join us in shaping the future of sustainability education!
The successful candidate will also fulfil lectureship duties, contribute to the innovation in our educational practices, and, if applicable, have the opportunity to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ or Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs/BKO in Dutch).
The following links provide information about the different programs you might be involved in:
- Minor Sustainable Development (https://studiegids.universiteitleiden.nl/studies/8096/sustainable-development-interdisciplinary-minor);
- MSc Governance of Sustainability (https://studiegids.universiteitleiden.nl/studies/7877/governance-of-sustainability#tab-1);
- MSc Industrial Ecology (https://studiegids.universiteitleiden.nl/studies/7875/industrial-ecology#tab-1).
As a Lecturer, you will have a range of exciting responsibilities, and you will take the initiative in developing and implementing innovative ideas, tools and methods, and help teach several courses in close collaboration with your colleagues. We are committed to creating a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can learn from and with each other.
Our successful candidate will have excellent organization and communication skills, good didactic skills and (preferably) didactic experience, as well as a background and interest in interdisciplinary education and thinking. Depending on the courses and programs you will be involved in, the tasks will include:
- Preparing course materials and teaching lectures.
- Coordinating the thesis research module (30 EC). This includes facilitating the thesis market, matching supervisors with students, teaching the preparation module, and overseeing the overall module.
- Coordinating and adapting the online preparatory module for the entire master program, tailored to students who require background information on skills, natural sciences topics and/or governance-related topics.
- Developing academic skills labs for Minor Sustainable Development students to complement their assessments and learning goals
- Taking the initiative in developing and implementing innovative ideas, tools and methods. This can relate to MOOCs, online education material, skills portfolio, learning line visualization and communication, etc.
- Supporting the Sustainability Challenge (10/12 EC), a commissioner-based real-life consultancy group assignment. This involves contact with commissioners, matching topics to students, and organizing a symposium.
- Helping teach in several courses in the MSc IE, GoS and/or Minor programmes, in close collaboration with fellow lecturers and course coordinators;
- Evaluating, giving feedback on and assessing assignments and exercises.
- Monitoring the students' progress (also in the development of their academic skills).
- Creating a safe working environment in which students can learn from and with each other.
- Stimulating students' interdisciplinary and proactive attitudes.
Our preferred candidate:
- Has a MSc degree or a PhD, ideally in Biology, Sustainability, Environmental Science or a related discipline.
- Proven ability to motivate and/or encourage students and to coach them through group work.
- Has excellent organization and communication skills.
- Possesses a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ or Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs/BKO in Dutch) or is willing to obtain this UTQ within two years, therewith improving their didactic skills.
- Is eager to contribute actively to improving the quality of education; has a proactive and flexible attitude.
- You are a team player and can communicate your work to other lecturers and staff members of various disciplines within and outside of the CML.
- Fluent in English, verbally and in writing.
Research at our Institute/Faculty
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic development are top priorities. Our people are driven by curiosity to expand fundamental knowledge and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline; their aim is to benefit science, and to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future.
The research carried out at the Faculty is very diverse, ranging from mathematics, information science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organised in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelor’s and twelve master’s programmes. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2,800 staff and almost 6,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
The environmental science research in CML is organized around two major research areas: ‘Industrial Ecology’ and ‘Environmental Biology’. This makes CML one of the few institutes covering both the circular, sustainable economic use of natural resources and natural capital, as well as assessing the environmental impacts of economic activities on natural resources, biodiversity and natural capital. Presently, over 140 FTE (including postdocs and PhDs) are employed at CML. CML collaborates with the TU Delft and Erasmus University (Rotterdam) in the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Centre for Sustainability (LDE-CfS).
Terms and conditions
We offer a 1-year position with the possibility of renewal, based on performance and following the pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. Salary ranges from € 2.960.- gross per month to € 4.670 gross per month, based on experience and a full-time position. Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
At the Faculty of Science we value inclusiveness and strive for a diverse community with equal opportunities for all. We give full support to our staff in achieving their potential to become independent academic researchers and teachers. For more information about our policy on diversity and equality please go to the diversity page on our website. Female researchers are also welcomed to join the Researchers In Science for Equality network of the Faculty if Science (rise.nu).
Enquiries can be made to either email@example.com (MSc Industrial Ecology) or firstname.lastname@example.org (MSc Governance of Sustainability, Minor Sustainable Development), or email@example.com for general questions.
To apply for this vacancy, please apply via the blue button on top. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- CV – highlighting any teaching-related experiences
- A motivation letter
- The names and contact information of two referees
Applications will be considered until the 25th of June 2023. Interviews will take place on the 30th of June 2023, from 09.00 to 13.00 CET.