Associate professor Methodology and Statistics
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 4 april 2023
- 5 mei 2023 Vacature gesloten
The Faculty of Socialand Behavioural Sciences, Institute of Psychology, the Methodology andStatistics unit has a job opening for an associate professor (UHD) who will participate in management, teaching, research, and outreach.
Associate professor Methodology and Statistics (0.8 - 1.0FTE)
Vacancy number 13573
- Your field of research fits within Methodology and Statistics (M&S) for Psychology. The unit M&S has four main areas of research:
1) Applied psycho- and sociometrics;
2) fMRI methodology and statistics;
3) Statistical learning and artificial intelligence for psychological research;
4) Responsible research methods.
- You will contribute to the teaching program of the M&S unit at both the Bachelor and Master level and will supervise students at different stages of their education; The M&S unit participates in the bachelor's degrees in psychology, urban studies, and artificial intelligence. Also, the unit participates in three master's programs (one-year M&S master within the Institute of Psychology, a two-year interfaculty master Statistics and Data Science, and the two-year Research master in Psychology). Furthermore, the unit organises Winter-, and Summer schools for PhD-candidates of the Graduate School of Social and Behavioural Sciences;
- You will act as a statistical consultant for members of the Institute of Psychology and the Leiden University Graduate school of Social and Behavioural Sciences;
- You will apply for research grants from Dutch and European funding agencies;
- You contribute to administration and organization at the level of the unit and the institute;
- You contribute to a positive work environment, with open science transparency and a collaborative, inclusive team environment as core values.
The distribution of education vs research is 60%-40%.
- An excellent teaching background; Experience and affinity with teaching methodological/statistical courses at the academic level; an advantage is having teaching experience in item response theory and/or Bayesian modeling;
- An excellent research background. A PhD on a topic relevant to Methodology and Statistics; Shown to be able to coordinate your own innovative research program; High level international appearance;
- Successfully supervised PhD students and acted as ‘co-promotor’;
- Been successful in obtaining research funds;
- Administration and coordinating expertise;
- Having experience in programming; A requirement is being able to program in R; An advantage is being able to program in Python, and having experience in the use of statistical packages as SPSS, SAS, FSL/SPM, or STATA;
- Experience with statistical consulting; an advantage is experience with power analysis;
- Both Dutch and English language proficiency (or the intention to reach it) is required as our unit consists of an international team and teaching will be both in Dutch and English;
- The applicant already possesses or is prepared to shortly receive a nationally recognized postsecondary teaching skills certification pathway (University Teaching Qualification; UTQ).
About the faculty/Institute
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences consists of five institutes: Education and Child Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology and the Centre for Science and Technology Studies. The faculty has approximately 7,000 students and 1,025 employees. The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences brings together high-quality research and outstanding teaching as well as in multidisciplinary approaches. Please, visit the faculty’s website for more information.
The Institute of Psychology comprises six units for teaching and research: Health, Medical and Neuropsychology, Clinical Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Developmental and Educational Psychology, Social, Economic and Organisational Psychology, and Methodology and Statistics. The Institute of Psychology offers a stimulating environment that promotes collaboration within and between units. For more information, see www.fsw.leidenuniv.nl/psychologie.
Terms and conditions
You will be offered a temporary appointment for 12 or 18 months. Depending on performance, the position will be extended to a permanent position. Salary range from €5506.- to €6702.- gross per month on a full-time basis (pay scale 13, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme.Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification. If the successful applicant does not alreadypossess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Diversity and inclusion
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Elise Dusseldorp, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and Prof.Mark de Rooij, email email@example.com.
Please submit online your application no later than May 5,2023 via the blue button of our application system. Job interviews are planned on May 15, 16 and 17, 2023. Applicants should submit online one document that includes the following: a motivation letter accompanied by a detailed CV, a research profile (1-2 pages), a teaching statement (1-2 page description of courses taught and teaching interest) and the name and contact information of two references (no letters).
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.