PhD student in Evolutionary Microbiology
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 22 november 2022
- 12 december 2022 Vacature gesloten
The Faculty of Science / the Institute for Biology is looking for a :
PhD student in Evolutionary Microbiology
Vacancy number: 22-771
• Develop innovative and interdisciplinary research to decipher the evolutionary mechanisms underlying specialized metabolism in bacteria (natural products biosynthesis).
• Explore some of the hypotheses posed by our group following evolutionary genome mining and integrated omics approaches in multicellular bacteria, such as Streptomyces and Cyanobacteria.
(See DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1039/C9NP00048H and https://doi.org/10.1039/D1NP00013F)
• Participate in collaborative and international research teams to perform both scientific research and teaching in bioinformatics.
• Reflect about the role of Natural Products in Society and efficiently communicate to the public key emerging issues related to this research.
• Previous training and experience in Bioinformatics or equivalent (BSc or MSc)
• Ability to design and develop bioinformatics pipelines de novo, and adopt and execute available pipelines using metagenomics and/or metabolomics fata.
• General genetic and biochemical understanding of natural products biosynthesis, and strong interest and understanding of evolutionary microbiology.
• Experimental ability to perform microbiological cultures and process samples for genomics and metabolomics analyses.
• Strong big data analysis abilities
• Ability to communicate results orally and in written to specialized audiences, including teaching and collaborative work.
• Previous experience and/or interest on Science Communication & Society.
Research at our faculty
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic development are top priorities. Our people are committed to expand fundamental knowledge by curiosity and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline; their aim is to benefit science, and to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future.
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is very diverse, ranging from mathematics, information science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organised in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelor’s and twelve master’s programmes. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2800 staff and almost 6000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
For more information, see https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/science
The Institute for Biology
The research within the Institute of Biology Leiden (IBL) aims to work on the science base of biodiversity and health, which is reflected in our leading principle Harnessing Biodiversity for Health. We perform innovative curiosity-driven research to answer fundamental questions, and solutions-driven research to help solving major societal challenges. The latter include protecting nature’s biodiversity, creating sustainable biotechnology and agriculture and increasing good health. Our research focuses on four Research Themes: Bioactive Molecules, Host-Microbe Interactions, Development & Disease and Evolution & Biodiversity. Located in a thriving scientific environment with our Faculty of Sciences, Naturalis Biodiversity Centre, the Leiden University Medical Centre and the Leiden Bioscience Park, IBL offers an exciting, internationally oriented and inclusive place to work and study.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time 1 year term position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the thesis, personal capabilities and compatibility the appointment will be extended by a further three years. Salary range from € 2541 to € 3247 gross per month (pay scale P in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
All our PhD students are embedded in the Leiden University Graduate School of Science https://www.graduateschools.leidenuniv.nl. Our graduate school offers several PhD training courses at three levels: professional courses, skills training and personal effectiveness. In addition, advanced courses to deepen scientific knowledge are offered by the research school.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Prof. Francisco (Paco) Barona Gómez (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have any questions about the procedure, please contact Sylvia Maas (email@example.com).
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents (combined in a single PDF file) quoting the vacancy number:
• Detailed CV (long version)
• Letter of expression of scientific background and interests
Only applications received before 12 December 2022 can be considered.