- 22-606 12775
- Niet-wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Intern , Extern
- Geplaatst op
- 27 september 2022
- 5 november 2022 Vacature gesloten
The institute for Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is looking for a
Project manager for NWO project on Anthropology of Everyday AI in Islam (0.5 FTE)
Vacancy number 12775 22-606
We are looking for a communicative project manager for the NWO-Vici research project One among the Zeroes |0100|: Towards an Anthropology of Everyday AI in Islam. The manager will support PI and team members through organizing seminars and conferences, by looking after the project’s administration and maintaining the website and social media channels of the project. A social science background and an interest in processes of digitalization and ethical dilemmas surrounding emergent technologies is considered an asset.
The |0100| Project investigates the Islamic Information Society’s most debated component – artificial intelligence – with multimodal and mixed methods, comparing and contrasting narratives and imagery of AI-religious-futures in the national settings of Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore, each with a considerable yet differently positioned Muslim population. |0100| delivers salient ethnographic evidence, as well as an overarching socio-anthropological analysis, of what digital everyday religion is like, how Southeast Asians use AI in everyday life, and how digital technology contributes to exciting societal experiments and ethical dilemmas. The |0100| project is hosted by the Leiden University institute of Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology (CA-DS). See here for more information.
Your responsibilities as project manager
As a project manager you will work in close collaboration with and assist the Principal Investigator (PI), prof dr. Bart Barendregt, a postdoc and three PhDs, focusing on project management, organization and communication tasks.
As a project manager, you specifically,
- Take care of the (financial) project administration
- Monitor project progress and help the PI in writing progress reports
- Correspondence with our international academic and societal partners
- Liaise with the international scientific advisory board and organizes the advisory board meetings;
- Organize seminars, workshops and the project’s international conferences;
- Organize and coordinate research travel and relevant cost items for the team and of the advisory board
- Support the PI and team in archiving the ethics documentation of the project, and the Data Management Plan;
- Help in digitizing Islamic journals for further computational analysis by the postdoc;
- Help maintain the project website and coordinate (with PI and team) posts for the project website and its social media channels.
Who are you?
You like to work in a team and play a central, facilitating role. You also have an analytical and critical mind set and you are able to keep an overview of project progress and the requirements in different phases and moments of the projects. You are used to working with people with different backgrounds and expertise and you can switch between different levels. You know how to get things done and help people do theirs. And you are good at communicating within a diverse team and network, and maintaining contacts with the outside world.
In addition, you have:
- Relevant management experience in an academic environment;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Some experience with maintaining websites and social media communication;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written); fluency in Dutch is preferable, and command of the Indonesian and/or Malay language a plus (but not a must);
- Scientific work and thinking level, preferably Master degree;
- Preferably a social science background.
About the faculty
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences consists of five institutes: Education and Child Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology and the Centre for Science and Technology Studies. The faculty has approximately 7,000 students and 1,025 employees. The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences brings together high-quality research and outstanding teaching as well as in multidisciplinary approaches. Please, visit the faculty’s website for more information.
Information about the Institute for Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology can be found at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/social-behavioural-sciences/cultural-anthropology-and-development-sociology.
Terms and conditions
We offer a part-time (0,5 fte) position for one year starting from December 2022 or January 2023. The appointment may be extended for up to an additional 2 years subject to need and satisfactory performance. Salary range from € 3098.- to € 4257.- gross per month based on a full-time appointment (pay scale 9, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Diversity and inclusion
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Additional information about this position can be obtained from the project’s PI, Prof. Bart Barendregt email@example.com
Please submit online your application no later than November 5, 2022 via the blue button in our application system.
Applicants should submit online a letter of interest accompanied by a CV.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated