Tutors International Studies
- 22-311 11704
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 17 mei 2022
- 27 mei 2022 Vacature gesloten
The Faculty of Humanities is looking for
Tutors International Studies (1,00 FTE)
Vacancy number: 22-311 11704
The Faculty of Humanities offers several tutor teaching positions (5 fte) within the BA International Studies programme which is situated in The Hague. The tutors will support lecture series in the domains of history, culture, socio-linguistics, politics and economics, from a global perspective and for specific areas. Each tutor will work with groups consisting of 12-15 students, carrying out detailed teaching plans, with specified aims and objectives, previously designed for the tutorials under the supervision of the tutor coordinator and in cooperation with their colleagues.
Tutorials have a didactic as well as a social objective. Didactically, tutorials are meant to offer students the opportunity to discuss in depth the subject matter of the lectures and do the assignments (researching, writing and presenting) previously agreed upon. The aim of tutorials is to enhance academic skills, such as research skills (including literature and primary source research), written and oral presentation and debating skills. Socially, tutorials offer the ideal environment for students to get acquainted with and develop their academic network.
The tutors also play an important role in grading assignments and exams.
• The candidate will participate in the BA International Studies Programme, where he / she will support lecture series in the domains of history, culture, socio-linguistics, politics and economics, from a global perspective, and for specific areas.
• Additionally, the candidate is expected to mark and assess student assignments and exams, and provide additional didactic guidance to students
• MA or PhD (preferred) in the domains of history, cultural studies, socio-linguistics, political science and economics.
• We are seeking candidates with a specialization in any of the eight areas taught in the Programme. We particularly invite applications from specialists in South and South East Asia, Africa, East Asia, and Russia and Eurasia.
• Preferably experience in teaching;
• Native or near-native speaker of English;
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and area studies covering nearly every region of the world. With its staff of 995, the faculty provides 27 master’s and 25 bachelor’s programmes for over 7,000 students based at locations in Leiden and in The Hague. For more information: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and area studies covering nearly every region of the world. With its staff of 995, the faculty provides 27 master’s and 25 bachelor’s programmes for over 7,000 students based at locations in Leiden’s historic city centre and in modern buildings in The Hague. For more information: https://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl . More information on the BA International Studies can be found on: https://www.hum.leiden.edu/internationalstudies.
More information on the BA International Studies can be found on: https://www.hum.leiden.edu/internationalstudies
Terms and conditions
The appointment is for 30,4 - 38 hours per week in temporary employment for half a year or one year. The position corresponds to the position of Docent 4 in the University system of job profiles (UFO).
Salary range from €2846.- to €4490.- gross per month (pay scale 10 , in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities and depending on qualifications and experience. The successful candidate is expected to commence employment on 15 August 2022.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification.
Diversity and inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Information on the Faculty of Humanities can be found at https://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/
More information on the BA International Studies can be found on: https://www.hum.leiden.edu/internationalstudies .
Further information regarding this position can be obtained from: Dr. A. P. Jordão (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please submit online your application no later than 27 May 2022 via the blue button in our application system.
Applicants should submit online the items listed below in one single PDF document named ‘FAMILY NAME / Position BA International Studies:
• Curriculum Vitae including education, and if applicable employment history, publications, and courses taught (including course evaluations);
• Copy of MA Exam results.
• Letter of motivation, which shows clear affinity with and specific knowledge of the area of International Studies (max. 1 page);
• Names, positions and email addresses of two referees (no reference letters).
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.