Postdoc in the field of experimental/theoretical single molecule biophysics
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 15 april 2022
- 30 april 2022 Vacature gesloten
The Faculty of Science, the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is looking for a:
Postdoc in the field of computational/theoretical biophysics.
The postdoc will design and perform modeling to understand folding and assembly linear polymer models as well as disease related intrinsically disordered proteins and their target genome. Intrinsically disordered proteins are involved in various cancers and endocrine disorders. Drugging these receptors is a major challenge, due to their spatial distribution, conformational heterogeneity, and phase separation.
Depending on the skills of the postdoctoral researcher, the project may be geared towards fundamental polymer physics or applied molecular biophysics of folded proteins or the target 3D genome architecture (HiC data analysis). The project may involve topological approaches, various molecular dynamics simulations, and machine learning for discovering folding patterns.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Establish the aforementioned research line
- Design and perform investigations and data analysis
- Write high quality scientific manuscripts
- Present results to team members and other associated partners
- Contribute to our education program
- Train BSc, MSc and PhD students and supervise their research
- Contribute to grant writing activities
The ideal candidate should fulfill (most of) the following criteria:
· An academic degree (PhD) in science with excellent records in one of the following areas: Mathematics (knot theory), Polymer physics, Computational structural biology (particularly related to IDPs), 3D genome analysis, or machine learning and pattern recognition in complex data.
- Experience with NHRs or disordered proteins would be a plus.
- Decent publication record including first author publications.
- Good written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to successfully work and get things done in teams
Research at our faculty
The Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is a leading institute dedicated to world-class research and education in drug discovery and development. LACDR comprises a diverse and international team of approximately 150 researchers and is ideally located at the Leiden Bio Science Park, the largest life science cluster in The Netherlands. The Mashaghi lab (Medical Systems Biophysics and Bioengineering Group) is involved in interdisciplinary research at the interface of physics, engineering and biomedicine. We enjoy developing highly innovative approaches to high-impact questions, working with advanced technologies and writing compelling publications. The lab is equipped with various force methods, including a dual trap optical tweezers, and computing facility for molecular modeling, which enable studying folding dynamics of complex proteins and 3D genome architecture and dynamics. For more information, see: https://sites.google.com/site/micronanobiophysics/ and https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/science/drug-research/systems-pharmacology/medical-systems-biophysics-and-bioengineering
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is very diverse, ranging from mathematics, information science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organized in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelors’ and twelve master’s programs. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2,300 staff and over 5,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time (0,8-1 FTE), one year term position, with the possibility of renewal for up to three more years depending on the availability of funding and the performance. Salary will be on pay scale 10 and ranges from € 2.846,00 to € 4.490,00 (in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to attn. dr. Alireza Mashaghi;
at email@example.com indicating the vacancy number in the email subject line. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation, background, and qualifications for the position;
- A detailed CV (including a list of publications);
- Contact information of three references;
Only applications received before April 30, 2022 can be considered. The start date for the postdoctoral work will be as soon as possible, no later than June 1.