Assistant Professor in the area of Governance of Sustainability
- 22-012 10522
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Den Haag
- Geplaatst op
- 11 januari 2022
- 1 februari 2022 Vacature gesloten
The Institute of Public Administration of the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs - Leiden University is looking for an
Assistant Professor in the area of Governance of Sustainability (1 fte)
Vacancy number 22-012 10522
The Institute of Public Administration at Leiden University is seeking a colleague for the position of Assistant Professor in the area of Governance of Sustainability. In this position you will contribute to interdisciplinary teaching and research on sustainability. You have a public administration or similar background and you want to use your expertise to build new working relationships with colleagues within the Institute of Public Administration and with researchers from other faculties and disciplines. Preference will be given to candidates with a governance background, specialising in administration and politics, management and leadership or decision-making and policy.
- Teaching courses in the Institute’s bachelor’s and master’s programmes, in particular in the Master’s programme in Governance of Sustainability that is taught jointly with the Faculty of Science, and supervising bachelor’s and master’s theses;
- Carrying out high-quality research on governance of sustainability;
- Participating in national and international academic research networks and publishing in international scientific journals;
- Contributing to innovating the Institute’s teaching and research programmes, in particular the Master’s programme in Governance of Sustainability;
- Playing an active role in linking scientific research and teaching with the practice of policy and management in the public domain;
- Acquire research funding.
- You hold a PhD in public administration, political science, organisational sciences, sociology, economics or another relevant field in social sciences, with a specialisation in the area of governance of sustainability. In terms of the sub-themes of public administration, preference will be given to public administration and politics, management and leadership or decision-making and policy;
- You have demonstrable experience of or affinity with interdisciplinary teaching and/or research;
- You are enthusiastic about teaching and have experience with university teaching and are open to innovative and activating teaching methods;
- You are a team player and are able to work well with other lecturers, including those from other institutes and faculties;
- You are able to cooperate effectively with partners in society (local, national or international). The ability to build and maintain a good external network is an important attribute;
- You have a Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) or are prepared to obtain this qualification within two years;
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills.
The Faculty of governance and Global Affairs is one of the seven faculties of Leiden University. Firmly rooted in the academic tradition, our students and researchers work together with national and international partners on new insights and solutions to current issues at the crossroads of politics, public administration and law.
The Institute of Public Administration in The Hague is one of the largest and oldest institutions for scientific research and teaching on public administration in the Netherlands. The Institute combines a strong international academic reputation with a central position in international national, regional and local government institutions, including in The Hague. The Institute consistently receives high appraisals in peer reviews both for its teaching and research programmes. It offers a Dutch-language bachelor’s programme with two tracks: a Dutch-language master’s programme in Management of the Public Sector and an English-language master’s programme in Public Administration. It also participates in various programmes with other faculties, including the Master’s programme in Governance of Sustainability and master’s programmes in the field of Population Health Management.
Terms and conditions
The Assistant Professor to be recruited will be part of an ambitious and dynamic team of colleagues who intend to build further on the successes of recent years, in an environment of cooperation across disciplinary borders. The appointment (fte 1.0) is in temporary employment for max 18 months, with the prospect of a permanent position after positive evaluation.
We would prefer you to start as soon as possible.
Salary range from € 3.807,- to € 5.211,- gross per month (pay scale 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), and training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.staff.universiteitleiden.nl/human-resources/conditions-of-employment-salary-and-allowance?cf=governance-and-global-affairs
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
You can find information about Public Affairs via:
For further inquiries about the vacancy, please contact prof. dr.ir. Eefje Cuppen, Professor of Governance of Sustainibility, mail to mail to email@example.com, T 31 (0)70 8009088.
Please submit online your application no later than 1 February 2022 via the blue button in our application system.
Applicants should submit online a letter of interest accompanied by a CV.
Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents in PDF format:
- Motivation letter;
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications;
- A sample publication;
- The names and addresses of three potential referees.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.