Combined professorship Intercultural Performing Arts
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- 0.2, 0.3 and 0.5
- Intern , Extern
- Geplaatst op
- 26 januari 2021
- 1 maart 2021
The Faculty of Humanities Leiden University and Codarts Rotterdam are looking for candidates for a
Combined professorship Intercultural Performing Arts
- Professor by special appointment (bijzonder hoogleraar) for the chair “Intercultural Performing Arts’, 1 day per week (0.2 FTE) at Leiden University
- Professor (’lector’) Intercultural Performing Arts (0.3 FTE) and Dean Graduate School (0.5 fte) at Codarts University of the Arts Rotterdam
The three positions will be combined into one nomination. The successful candidate will be fulltime employed by Codarts University of Arts Rotterdam. For the Professor by special appointment, the candidate is assigned by Codarts to work at Leiden University/ACPA for one day per week for a period of five years.
Both Codarts Rotterdam and Leiden University are strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Professor by special appointment (bijzonder hoogleraar) for the chair “Intercultural Performing Arts’, 1 day per week (0.2 FTE) at Leiden University
The professor by special appointment “Intercultural Performing Arts’ will be expected to devote one day per week to teaching and research at Leiden University. He/she will become a full member of the academic community of the Academy of Creative and Performing Arts (ACPA) at the Faculty of Humanities.
- To conduct scholarly research in the field of Intercultural Performing Arts with a focus on practice-based artistic research in music;
- To carry out teaching for the Leiden University community;
- To initiate, stimulate, and supervise doctoral research;
- To bring the field to the attention of a wide audience, in the Netherlands and abroad, by means of lectures and publications in conventional and new media;
- To represent ACPA and to connect Intercultural Performing Arts to societal issues.
- PhD degree in a relevant field;
- Solid international research portfolio and reputation in Intercultural Performing Arts;
- Experience in supervising PhD research;
- Ability to attract research funding;
- Broad teaching experience and outstanding teaching qualities;
- Good proficiency in the English and preferably also the Dutch language;
- Possession of the University Teaching Qualification (Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs) or willingness to acquire it in the Leiden setting;
- Empathic and unifying leadership.
Professor (’lector’) Intercultural Performing Arts (0.3 FTE) and Dean Graduate School (0.5 FTE) at Codarts University of the Arts Rotterdam
- Conducting research in the field of Intercultural Performing Arts, with a focus on practice-based artistic research in music;
- Providing and developing education in the field of Intercultural Performing Arts, with a focus on musical diversity;
- Supervising research by faculty, PhD students and postdocs;
- Establishing links and collaborations with other relevant institutes of higher learning and research;
- Representing Codarts’ Music department internationally;
- Contributing to the public distribution of knowledge of and to the public debate on Intercultural Performing Arts, especially with regard to music;
- Connecting Intercultural Performing Arts to societal issues.
The professor will also oversee, as Dean of the Graduate School, the research by faculty and master students at Codarts, and will contribute proactively to the enhancement of diversity and inclusivity in master education and research.
- A doctorate in a field relevant to the domain of study and research, e.g., cultural musicology or artistic research;
- Expertise in at least two genres of music;
- Experience at the intersection of research and performance practice, preferably as practitioner-scholar, and the capacity to connect artistic knowledge to science and the humanities;
- Excellent research qualities, evidenced by a track record of publications and other research output;
- Competences in inter- and transdisciplinary research;
- Preferably experience with the supervision of master and PhD students;
- Proven experience and achievements in teaching higher education, preferably also in higher arts education;
- Knowledge of discussions and concerns with regard to cultural diversity and inclusivity;
- Excellent command of English; preferably proficiency in Dutch;
- A demonstrable and relevant international network;
- Experience with the acquisition of indirect funding.
With regard to the function of Dean of Codarts Graduate School the following additional requirements apply:
- Affinity with the mission and vision of Codarts;
- Active contribution to strengthening diversity and inclusivity in the master programs of Codarts;
- Ample experience in one or more relevant management functions;
- Strategic, financial and entrepreneurial insight;
- A keen sense of administrative, political and cultural relationships, and comfortable in communicating externally;
- Motivating, innovating, communicative, and a healthy sense of perspective.
The Faculty of Humanities has a wealth of expertise in the fields of philosophy, history, art history, the arts, literature, linguistics, religious studies, and area studies of virtually the entire world. Every day, we put our university motto “You get to know the world in Leiden” into practice with high-quality teaching by passionate lecturers and with research of an internationally recognized high level. The organisation is supported in these activities by a professional staff. With 930 employees, the faculty provides 27 MA and 25 BA programmes for more than 7,000 students from its locations in the historic heart of Leiden and the contemporary location of The Hague. For more information, see the website of Humanities.
ACPA is a research institute of the Faculty of Humanities at Leiden University and embodies the collaboration between Leiden University and the University of the Arts The Hague (the Royal Conservatoire and the Royal Academy of Art). In addition to research in and through the arts, ACPA offers academic education for art students in The Hague and art education for students at Leiden University. Furthermore, the institute organizes cultural events where art and academia meet.
ACPA is located in the center of Leiden Find more information about ACPA on the website.
Terms and Conditions
The holder of the special chair will not become an employee of Leiden University. The chair is financed by Codarts. The professor by special appointment - based as lector/dean at Codarts Rotterdam – will be assigned by Codarts to work at Leiden University/ACPA for five years for 0,2 fte (7,6 hrs).
Enquiries may be directed to the Academic Director of ACPA Erik Viskil, via e-mail email@example.com.
About Codarts University of Arts Rotterdam
Codarts is a Rotterdam based international university providing high level professional arts education in music, music theatre, dance, circus arts, music- and dance education and music- and dance therapy. The university has about 1.000 students, of 65 nationalities, and around 480 staff members.
Terms and Conditions
The Lector Intercultural Performing Arts (0.3 FTE) and Dean Graduate School (0.5 FTE), and the holder of the special chair will be employed by Codarts. The professor by special appointment - based as lector/dean at Codarts Rotterdam – will be assigned by Codarts to work at Leiden University/ACPA for five years for 0.2 FTE (7.6 hrs). The starting date is 1 September 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Salary depending on experience in scale 15 (min. € 5.797,43 - max. € 7.485,19 gross per month based on 1 FTE) in accordance with the collective labor agreement for 2020. The contract will be for 5 years, with the possibility of extension. Appointment and renumeration are in accordance with the collective agreement for higher professional vocational education cao-hbo. Codarts employees benefit from an attractive conditions pension (ABP), opportunities for further study and collective health insurance
Enquiries may be directed to the president of the board of Codarts, University of Arts Rotterdam, Wilma Franchimon, email firstname.lastname@example.org of Liesbeth Noordegraaf-Eelens, Professor Transformative Academic Education at Erasmus School of Philosophy and Lector Transdisciplinary Education Innovation at Codarts, email email@example.com.
Please submit your applications for the combined professorship no later than March 1 2021 via the recruitment system of University Leiden, by clicking on the blue button at the top of this page. In your application – in the form of a single PDF file – please include the following items in the following order:
- Application letter, including a vision of the working field of the chair (max. 2 pages);
- CV, including education, positions filled, employers, publication list, courses designed and given, research projects, grants and prizes;
- Research plan, including reflection on how the research output can be shared with broader audiences;
- Vision statement on how teaching in this subject area should be given;
- Course description of a course that the applicant would like to offer in this subject area;
- Names and contact details of three referees (no reference letters at this stage).
The selection procedure may include a trial lecture. Interviews with shortlisted candidates are planned for March and April 2021.