Full professor in Discovery of Biologics
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 4 augustus 2020
- 1 oktober 2020
The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) are looking for a
Full professor in Discovery of Biologics
- Establish state-of-the-art humanized models of disease in the field of (neuro)inflammatory diseases that allow the design and testing of biologics that address novel druggable targets in these diseases;
- Apply modern -omics techniques such as single cell sequencing, lipidomics and proteomics for target finding;
- Develop biologics and their delivery including therapeutic vaccines and cell therapy products
- Make a substantial contribution to acquiring external funds;
- Teach at different levels of the curriculum and actively contribute to innovative teaching and to the translation of the research into teaching;
In the coming years Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) will be implementing an ambitious investment programme that will further expand our research profile and strengthen the three divisions within the LACDR. The aim of this investment programme is to attract and promote academic talent and the academics that we are seeking for these programmes should have a broad profile: they are excellent in their own discipline, and are willing and able to work with others to develop new research lines and expand existing ones. They will do so by working beyond faculty boundaries and by securing external funding.
Inflammatory diseases form nowadays a large focus point for the development of drugs based on both biologics and small molecules. Within this investment programme the LACDR aims to focus on the discovery and development of biologics in the field of (neuro)inflammatory diseases. Biologics have successfully been developed to treat a variety of life-threatening and chronic diseases, and currently form the most rapidly growing class of drugs. Biologics comprise monoclonal antibody-based medicines, recombinant human proteins, vaccines, gene therapy products, (stem) cell-based products and tissue engineered products. We aim to expand our research on (delivery systems for) immunomodulatory biologics and vaccines, with a focus on the treatment of auto-inflammatory diseases such as neurologic disorders.
- Experience of and demonstrable success in external fundraising and helping others to raise funds;
- Experience in leading a research team and successful supervision of PhD candidates and postdocs;
- A strong focus on (interdisciplinary) collaboration and encouraging team achievements;
- Excellent teaching abilities, enthusiasm and drive. Vision on teaching, teaching methods and curriculum development;
- A pronounced interest in academic leadership and governance.
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic development are top priorities. Our people are committed to expand fundamental knowledge by curiosity and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline; their aim is to benefit science, and to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future.
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is very diverse, ranging from mathematics, information science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organized in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelor’s and twelve master’s programs. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2,200 staff and almost 4,200 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together. For more information, see the website
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time, 5 year term position with the possibility of fixed-term based on good performance. Salary range from € 5.749,- to € 8.371,- gross per month (pay scale H2 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years. There’s a language proficiency of minimum level Cl required.
Enquiries can be made to Johan Kuiper, Head of the Division of BioTherapeutics, LACDR, email email@example.com.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to Hubertus Irth, Scientific Director LACDR, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- Motivation letter;
- Curriculum Vitae and list of publications;
Only applications received no later than October 1st 2020 can be considered.