Deputy Director of the International Institute for Asian Studies
- Niet-wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Intern, Extern
- Geplaatst op
- 15 september 2020
- 06 oktober 2020
As per January 1, the International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) is looking for a
Deputy Director of the International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS)
The Deputy Director (DD) of IIAS will work closely with the Director and the Financial Controller as part of the Institute’s Management Team (MT) to ensure the smooth and coordinated operations of IIAS especially with regard (1) the facilitation of team work among highly competent and independent members; (2) the interactions with national and international institutional partners, academic and others, in line with the strategic development of the institute.
We seek someone with strong organizational skills and verifiable experience in team-based, always changing, operations. Among the specific responsibilities will be:
- Contribute to the operational policy and decision-making process of the Management Team of the IIAS;
- Focus specifically on team building and the implementation of personnel policies, including HR matters (collective labour agreements, fringe benefits and organization);
- Interact with Leiden University and other academic institutions in the Netherlands and internationally;
- Contribute to the visibility of IIAS within Dutch and international public circles
- Interface with visiting and affiliated scholars and partners;
- Facilitate meetings and initiatives pertaining to networks or activities having a direct impact on the operational capacities of IIAS;
- Facilitate meetings of the IIAS Board, the IIAS Academic Committee, and the European Alliance for Asian Studies;
- Assist the Financial Controller in overseeing the financial and budgetary management of the Institute;
- Depending on her/his expertise and academic background, the DD may wish to participate in the development of IIAS’s academic programmes.
You think strategically, act pragmatically, and work collegially. You operate with managerial sensitivity and come up with creative solutions. You are committed to the long-term development of the Institute and its team. More specifically:
- You hold a MA or a PhD degree, preferably on an Asia-related subject;
- You keep yourself available to deal with different situations and have the ability to quickly switch between various modes of operations;
- You have proved (at least five years) experience in academic affairs (research, education, public services), if possible, with a special interest in humanistic scholarship;
- You maintain good working connections with members of the Dutch and international academic community;
- You have experience in working within an international environment and are willing to travel;
- You are communicative, have social skills, are focused on collaboration with colleagues and others, have negotiating abilities, and are results driven;
- You hold excellent oral and written commands of Dutch and English.
The International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) is a national and global research organisation and knowledge exchange platform, based in Leiden, The Netherlands. The Institute initiates and promotes interdisciplinary and trans-sectoral programmes that engage partners in - and with - Asia, in the world. The Institute seeks to promote a contextualized understanding of Asian realities and to pioneer new approaches to the studies of Asia and the ‘Asian factor’ in a changing global environment. It does so through an array of activities in the realms of research, education, publications, dissemination, network development, institutional support, and services to the community outside academia. It seeks to contribute to a culturally and socially-informed policy-relevant knowledge on/in/with Asia.
Terms and conditions
The appointment is for one year with the intention of making it permanent following a successful performance evaluation. The appointment is in line with the collective employment agreement of Dutch universities. Salary range from € 4.538,- to € 5.826,- gross per month (pay scale 12 ).
IIAS and Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %). Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For more information, see the website.
IIAS and Leiden University are strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Philippe Peycam, email email@example.com or to Erica van Bentem, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this vacancy, please send your cv and motivation letter no later than 6 October, 2020 to email@example.com. Please make sure that you quote the vacancy number in the subject of your email and your letter.
Interviews will be held from the 26th of October, 2020.