Postdoctoral researchers in Machine Learning / Optimization
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- 1.0 (2 positions)
- Geplaatst op
- 19 mei 2020
- 31 mei 2020
Leiden University, Faculty of Science, Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) is seeking two
Postdoctoral researchers in Machine Learning / Optimization
These positions entail the development and application of novel anomaly detection algorithms to real-world industrial data (position 1) and the development and application of deep neural networks for product quality prediction in industrial production (position 2). In both cases, significant progress has already been achieved in the research group, and the candidates will be able to continue this research with the help of an established team focusing on these topics.
The candidates will be employed at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) of the Faculty of Science. Researchers with an interest and experience in the computational aspects of the field and strong collaboration with industry are preferred.
The candidates will have the opportunity to collaborate with a team of researchers (MSc students, PhD students, and the PI) working on various algorithms and applications in Machine Learning and Optimization. The group has access to a strong network of industrial partners and the corresponding real-world applications. Within these postdoc positions, there are plenty of opportunities for interaction with other researchers focusing on Natural Computing, Machine Learning, and Optimization.
- Position 1: Conduct research on novel anomaly detection methods for industrial applications and implementation and deployment of anomaly detection for a real-world application in a company;
- Position 2: Conduct research deep neural networks for product quality prediction and implementation and deployment of product quality prediction for a real-world application in a company;
- Co-supervise MSc and PhD students on topics related to the above topics;
- Publish research results (possibly together with other group members involved in the above projects);
- Secure additional external funding for research (if time permits).
- A PhD in computer science, ideally with a strong track record in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning / Optimization;
- Excellent writing skills and proficiency of the English language, demonstrated through published first author papers in respected and relevant conference proceedings or journals;
- Experience with programming in Python, R, and C++; databases and Azure if possible (position 2);
- Experience with Data Science;
- Able to work independently, in a team, and in a student supervisory role;
- An academic, creative, and curious mindset.
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. Our people are driven by curiosity to expand fundamental knowledge and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline. The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is diverse, ranging from mathematics, artificial intelligence, computer science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 1,300 staff and almost 4,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
The Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) is the Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science Institute in the Faculty of Science of Leiden University. We offer courses at the Bachelor and Master of Science level in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, ICT in Business, Media Technology, and Bioinformatics. According to an independent research visitation, we are one of the foremost computer science departments of the Netherlands. We strive for excellence in a caring institute, where excellence, fun, and diversity go hand in hand. We offer a clear and inviting career path to young and talented scientists with the ambition to grow.
Terms and conditions
We offer a 1 year fixed term position starting 1 July 2020 at the earliest. During the time of appointment, the applicant is invited to actively seek funding for continuation of the position, assisted by and in collaboration with the PI. In addition, the position may be extended in duration if the candidate is qualified and able to also take on teaching-related activities.
Salary ranges from € 2,709.- to € 4,274.- gross per month for a full-time position (pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups. We wish to reflect society both in age, gender and culture, as we believe that this would optimize the dynamics in our organization. Therefore, we support and understand the need for a work/life/family balance and consequent varying working hours and places. In the Netherlands, a maternity allowance is standard for 16 weeks. Child care is available at and near the Bio Science Park.
Inquiries can be made to the PI Thomas Bäck, email email@example.com, telephone +49 177 329 5153. Should you have any questions regarding this position, then you are explicitly invited to informally reach out to Prof. Bäck before formally applying.
Written applications should be submitted no later than May 31, 2020. You can send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to include the vacancy number and the following attachments:
- A cover letter (1 page) detailing your motivation to apply for the position;
- A CV including relevant academic activities thus far, as well as a list of publications;
- A recent writing example (paper or thesis) that you are proud of and reflects your academic writing skills;
- Names and contact details least two persons that can be contacted for reference (who have agreed to be contacted).
The selection procedure will take place in June 2020. Candidates selected for an interview will be notified in the second week of June. The interview and final selection will take place in the last two weeks of June.