Bio-informatician / analist
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- Geplaatst op
- 21 april 2020
- 27 mei 2020
The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug research are looking for a
Bio-informatician / analist
Leiden University has available a bio-informatician position as part of the H2020-funded project QSPPainRelief. QSPainRelief aims to develop effective drug combination treatments for the improved relief of chronic pain. A quantitative systems pharmacology (QSP) mathematical modelling approach will be used to identify and validate more effective therapeutic interventions by smart combinations of existing drugs. The ultimate goal is to personalise and maximize pain relief for individuals suffering from chronic pain while diminishing side effects. The primary goal of this position is to support the development of technical infrastructure for several types of computational and mathematical models that will be developed in this project.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 848068.
- Development of database infrastructure to store various types of biological/pharmacological data;
- Integration between database infrastructure and developed computational models;
- Integration/interfacing of our database with existing relevant databases;
- Development of a web-interface for end-users ;
- Reporting of results at project meetings and conferences;
- Contribution to writing of progress reports and scientific manuscripts;
- Contribute to a collaborative, open and positive working atmosphere in the research group.
- Bachelor or Master degree / HBO in Bio-informatics;
- Extensive experience in scripting languages (Python, bash, R);
- Experience in working with database technologies (e.g. SQL) and interfacing between other programming languages;
- Experience in working in Linux environments;
- Experience in building web-interfaces would be beneficial (e.g. R Shiny);
- Good communication (verbal and writing) skills in English;
- Interested in participating in educational tasks;
- Independent and creative team player.
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic development are top priorities. Our people are committed to expand fundamental knowledge by curiosity and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline; their aim is to benefit science, and to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future. The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is very diverse, ranging from mathematics, information science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences.
The research activities are organised in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelor’s and twelve master’s programmes. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2.200 staff and almost 4,200 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
Terms and conditions
We offer a four year term position. Salary ranges from € 2,325.- to € 3,052.- gross per month (pay scale 7 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end of year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break (30% of gross salary exempt from income taxation).
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Questions about this position can be send to Coen van Hasselt, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application should be send to email@example.com When applying, please use the following email subject title: QSPainRelief – Bioinformatician. In your application please include the following files:
- A motivation letter (1 page maximum) outlining how your experience aligns with the key responsibilities and selection criteria;
- A CV;
- Two reference letters (at least one from your thesis supervisor)
Please submit online your application no later than May 27, 2020. The planned start of employment is Between 01-07-2020 and 15-09-2020.