Professor of Educational Sciences, with a focus on Higher Education
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Omvang (fte)
- 1.0 FTE
- Intern, Extern
- Geplaatst op
- 17 december 2018
- 01 februari 2019
ICLON has a vacancy for a Professor of Educational Sciences, with a focus on Higher Education (1.0 FTE).
Educational leadership and management:
- Contribute to educational quality and educational policies of Leiden University;
- Guiding the board of the university, faculties, program directors and staff of Leiden University on educational issues;
- Establishing and maintaining good relationships with staff of the various faculties within Universiteit Leiden, aimed at cooperation in research on teaching;
- Represent ICLON in higher education policies;
- Chairing the department of Higher Education of ICLON;
- Able and willing to act as Scientific Director of ICLON in the future.
- Conducting scientific research on higher education, in particular related to teaching and teacher learning in educational innovations;
- Developing the ICLON research programme Teaching and Teacher Learning, in particular in the domain of higher education, together with the other professors of ICLON;
- Supervising researchers and PhD candidates who work within the ICLON research programme, in many cases together with professors from the faculties in Leiden University;
- Acquiring external funds to start new research projects.
Teaching and consultancy:
- Acquiring educational consultancy and teacher training projects;
- Performing educational consultancy projects;
- Providing research-based workshops and short courses for university staff on educational issues.
- The candidate holds a PhD in educational sciences and is well informed about international developments in research in Higher Education;
- The candidate has thorough and up to date knowledge of, and practical experience with teaching in higher education. The candidate is well informed about the Dutch educational system;
- The candidate shows excellent social skills to connect with all stakeholders at Leiden University;
- The candidate has an excellent track record as a researcher, apparent from a large number of international (ISI) publications, preferably in the domain of teaching in higher education;
- The candidate has been successful in starting new research, including acquiring of funds for new projects;
- The candidate has supervised numerous PhD candidates until the completion of their theses;
- The candidate is active in the (inter)national research community, for instance, by board memberships of research associations, or by memberships of editorial boards of international peer reviewed journals;
- The candidate has excellent and elaborate knowledge of, and experience with, a wide range of research methods, both qualitative and quantitative;
- The candidate has experience in management and governing responsibilities;
- The candidate is an excellent teacher and is able to communicate scientific knowledge to the general public;
- The candidate has experience in collaboration in research, teaching, and management;
- The candidate is fluent in English and in Dutch.
ICLON connects theory and practice of teaching through the application of academic knowledge to issues of classroom practice. Also, issues of practice form the starting point for research in, and development of, secondary and higher education.
ICLON, Leiden University Graduate School of Teaching, is a unit between faculties within Leiden University. It has a Governing Council in which three faculties of the University participate. There are approximately 100 employees who work in 2 Departments (Department of Secondary Education and the Department of Higher Education) and an Administrative Unit. ICLON, Leiden University Graduate School of Teaching, does scientific research and provides undergraduate and postgraduate teacher education and in-service teacher training, together with services pertaining to educational design and innovation, staff development and organizational development. These services are organized on behalf of Leiden University, colleges of higher professional education and secondary schools.
Terms and conditions
We offer a 5 year term position, with the possibility of renewal based on need, funding and performance. Salary range from €5,441 to €7,921 gross per month based on a full-time position (pay scale H2, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). The effective date of employment is negotiable, but should preferably not be later than 1 September 2019.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
University Teaching Qualification. Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the UTQ. If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years (https://www.staff.universiteitleiden.nl/human-resources/mobility-and-career-guidance/teacher-professionalisation/university-teaching-qualification/).
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
For additional information or enquiries please contact the secretary of the research programme Jossi Gijzen LL.M, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this vacancy, please send no later than 1 February 2019 an email to the HR department at email@example.com. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number (preferably as a single PDF file):
- A CV;
- A clearly focused research vision (max. 2 pages);
- A statement of teaching interests;
- The names and addresses (incl. tel. and email) of three potential referees.
Reprints/copies of the 5 most significant publications and additional information may be requested at a later stage.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.