Marcel de Haas
Dr Marcel de Haas is an Affiliated Professor of the University of Haifa, Israel (2017-), and external examiner of dissertations at the University of Pretoria, South Africa (2011-). He was Full Professor of Public Policy at Nazarbayev University, Astana, Kazakhstan (2014-2015). Earlier, he was Senior Research Associate at the Netherlands Institute of International Relations ‘Clingendael’ in The Hague (2005-2014) and Senior Researcher at the Russian Studies Centre of the University of Groningen (2010-2014). As a Russia expert, Dr de Haas’ PhD thesis was on ‘Russia’s security policy and airpower’ (University of Amsterdam, 2004) and his MA thesis on ‘Soviet policy towards Southern Africa’ (University of Leiden, 1987). His latest book was with Routledge (2010): ‘Russia’s Foreign Security Policy in the 21st Century: Putin, Medvedev and Beyond’.
Lieutenant-Colonel (Royal Netherlands Army, ret.) De Haas has fulfilled military positions such as military-political analyst, lecturer in international relations and international law, head research branch NATO School, arms control inspector, and policy advisor at the Dutch Defence Staff. He was responsible for the drafting of the first edition of the Netherlands Defence Doctrine in 2005. His publications on national security strategy were used by the Dutch Senate in the 2006 Defence debate. He has contributed to the UK House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee report on China (2006).
General: International Relations; International Security; International Organizations; International Law; Foreign Policy (Analysis), Defence Policy, Conflict Studies, Arms Control and Russian Studies;
Specific: Foreign, security and defence policy of the Netherlands, NATO, EU, Russia, CIS, Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO); Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO); Eurasian Union (EAEU).
- Haas M. de (2017), Relations of Central Asia with the Shanghai Cooperation Organization and the Collective Security Treaty Organization, Journal Of Slavic Military Studies 30(1): 1-16.
- Haas M. de (2016), War Games of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization and the Collective Security Treaty Organization: Drills on the Move!, The Journal of Slavic Military Studies 29(3): 378-406.
- Haas & M. de (2016), Security Policy and Developments in Central Asia: Security Documents Compared with Security Challenges, The Journal Of Slavic Military Studies 29(2): 203-226.
- Haas & M. de (2013), Partners and competitors: NATO and the (Far) East, Atlantisch Perspectief 37(3): 9-14.
- Haas & M. de (2013), Russian–Chinese Security Relations: Moscow’s Threat from the East?. The HagueClingendael Institute. 
- Haas & M. de (2010), Russia’s Foreign Security Policy in the 21st Century: Putin, Medvedev and Beyond. London: Routledge.
- Haas & M. de (2007), From defence doctrine to national security strategy: The case of the Netherlands, Strategic Review for Southern Africa 29(2).
- Haas, M. de; Cillissen, V.; Tibold & A. (2006), Geo-strategy in the South Caucasus: Power play and energy security of states and organisations,. The HagueClingendael Institute. 
- Haas & M. de (2004), Russian Security and Air Power (1992-2002): The development of Russian security thinking under Yeltsin and Putin and its consequences for the air forces. London; New York: Routledge.
- Haas & M. de (1988), Sovjetbeleid ten aanzien van Zuidelijk Afrika. Utrecht: De Banier.