Part-Time Administrative Assistant (Center Manager)
- Vacancy number
- Job type
- Non-academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- External/ internal
- External , Internal
- Placed on
- 30 January 2024
- Closing date
- 13 February 2024 Vacancy closed
ReCNTR, the Centre on Multimodal Research and Audiovisual Methods of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is looking for a
Part-Time Administrative Assistant (Center Manager) (0.5 fte)
The Center Manager will be part of an interdisciplinary research centre hosted within the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences. This new initiative aims to broaden the modes of inquiry, engagement, and presentation of social science and humanities research by both working across the faculties and fostering cross-over beyond the academy that specifically engages with the cultural sector. Accordingly, the centre advances audio-visual methods and multimodal formats that intend to produce unanticipated forms of knowledge, expand the possibilities of human understanding, and bolster opportunities for a broader dissemination of research. In this sense, ReCNTR aims to literally re-centre the frameworks for performing, disseminating, and assessing social science and humanities research.
The centre is co-directed by Dr. Mark Westmoreland of the Institute of Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology, Dr. Francesco Ragazzi of the Institute of Political Science, Dr. Julian Ross of the Centre for the Arts in Society, Prof. Erik Viskil of the Academy of Creative and Performing Arts and Dr. Cristiana Strava of the Institute of Areas Studies.
Daily Operational Leadership
Jointly oversee daily operations with the acting director, ensuring smooth functioning of the centre. This includes:
- Facilitating effective communication and task coordination among co-directors, members, and the advisory board.
- Organizing meetings, managing calendars, securing venues, compiling agendas, and documenting minutes.
Administrative and Financial Oversight
Collaborate with the institute manager for administrative and financial governance, encompassing:
- Handling payments and reimbursements.
- Maintaining an organized and efficient working schedule.
Grant Application Assistance
- Manage the entire grant lifecycle, from researching potential funders to submitting well-crafted applications, including budget planning and compliance with submission guidelines (in collaboration with institute manager and financial services)
- Foster and maintain relationships with funders, while keeping abreast of trends in grant funding, to enhance the centre's prospects for successful funding and collaborative opportunities.
Event Management and Coordination
- Manage logistics for guest speakers, including travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Plan and execute various events (e.g., speaker series, screenings, workshops, conferences), which involves venue selection, catering arrangements, and dinner planning.
Communications and Promotion
- Lead promotional activities for events, including creating and distributing marketing materials, managing email lists, and updating social media channels.
- Utilize expertise in image editing software (i.e. photoshop) and social media platforms for effective dissemination of the centre's activities (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Mastodon).
- Maintaining and updating the centre’s website and pushing event notifications to other affiliated partners for broader dissemination.
Progress Reporting and Documentation
- Assist the board of directors in producing yearly progress reports and prepare comprehensive annual evaluation reports.
- Edit and proofread documents to ensure accuracy and clarity.
Proactive and Autonomous Work Ethic
- Exhibit a proactive stance, taking full responsibility for tasks, and pro-actively addressing potential challenges and needs in each project.
- Demonstrate resilience and adaptability, effectively responding to evolving circumstances with minimal stress.
Flexible Work Schedule
- Adaptability in working hours is essential. While standard hours are the norm, flexibility to accommodate increased workloads during event preparations is expected.
Advanced Social Media and Communication Skills
Possess robust social media expertise, coupled with excellent oral and written proficiency in English. Dutch language skills are a valuable addition.
Extensive Experience in Grant Writing and Administration
- Bring substantial experience in drafting and supporting grant applications.
- Have a significant background in administrative roles within academic or research institutions, ideally with familiarity with Leiden University's processes.
Strong Organizational and Technical Proficiency
- Show exceptional organizational skills, capable of working independently following initial guidance.
- Display meticulous attention to detail and professionalism.
- Understand administrative procedures thoroughly.
- Proficient in MS Office, adept at using digital technologies (e.g., webinars, forums), and quick to learn new software.
Cultural Competence and Communication Expertise
- Experience working with diverse nationalities, demonstrating an open-minded approach.
- Excellent command of both oral and written English, with Dutch language skills being an advantageous asset.
Other qualifications of relevance, but not required to the position include the following:
- Familiarity with EU and Dutch funding institutions and policy processes
- Familiarity with EU and Dutch art and audio-visual sector (broadcasting, film festivals, art festivals, new media platforms)
- Familiarity with various management systems within Leiden University
- Additional IT skills (e.g. proficiency Adobe CC applications)
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences comprises four institutes: Education and Child Studies, Political Science, Psychology and Cultural Anthropology & Development Sociology. The Faculty also includes the Centre for Science and Technology Studies. The Faculty is home to 7,000 students and 1000 members of staff. Our teaching and research programmes cover diverse topics varying from adoption to political behaviour. For more information, see https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/social-behavioural-sciences.
With the additional participation of the Centre for the Arts in Society, the centre is situated within a dynamic intellectual environment with scholars participating in various national and international research projects, publishing monographs and articles with high-impact presses and journals, screening films and other outputs at high-profile festivals, and curating and programming events across the cultural sector.
Terms and conditions
The position preferably starts as soon as possible. We offer a half-time position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation and extension of funding, the appointment may be extended. The salary range, depending on qualifications and experience, is from € 3.073,- to € 4.103,- gross per month (pay scale 8) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see our employment conditions.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research.
For more information about the contents of this position, please contact Dr Mark Westmoreland, co-director of ReCNTR, email email@example.com
For questions related to the procedure, please contact the Political Science Institute Manager, Ms. Caroline de Ruijter, Tel +31 (0)6 15091122, e-mail: IMPowe@fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Please submit online your application no later than 13 February 2024 via the blue button in our application system. Please ensure that you upload your motivation letter and curriculum vitae (both in English) in PDF format, quoting the vacancy number. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed during the second or third week of February 2024 (in-person or virtually).
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.