Assistant Professor Sustainability
- Vacancy number
- Job type
- Academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- External/ internal
- Internal , External
- Placed on
- 17 January 2023
- Closing date
- 12 February 2023 Vacancy closed
The institute ofCultural Anthropology and Development Sociologyof the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciencesis looking for an
Assistant Professor in the Antropology of Sustainability (0.8 FTE)
Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology (CADS) at Leiden University studies the everyday practices of individuals, groups, and communities worldwide in relation to complex global challenges. Our CADS research program Global Vulnerabilities and Social Resilience focuses on three areas of research: Sustainability, Diversity, and Digitalization. At CADS we promote a multimodal methodological approach consisting of a unique mix of qualitative, quantitative, digital, and visual methods grounded in ethnographic fieldwork. We do this research along both disciplinary and interdisciplinary lines, together with our academic and societal partners. The CADS teaching program is home to a vibrant student community consisting of as many as 25 nationalities. Diversity is key to who we are and what we do; in creating an inclusive learning environment where a diversity of experiences and perspectives is fully supported, in our own research and in appointing research and teaching staff.
Within our bachelor our students can choose one of two specializations, one paying extra attention to issues of sustainability and citizenship, the other paying more attention to the social and cultural aspects of processes of digitalization and (audiovisual) mediation. We are also involved in developing an interdisciplinary bachelor programme Science for Sustainable Societies (SfSS). Currently we intend to strengthen our research on sustainability and our teaching capacity in both of our bachelor specializations.
- You will teach courses at Bachelor and Masters level, in the field of Sustainability, Diversity and preferably multimodal methods
- You are required to supervise B.Sc. and M.Sc. theses
- You will contribute to the new interdisciplinary bachelor programme Science for Sustainable Societies
- You will contributeto our output within the scope of theCADS research program,with particularresearch in the field of Sustainability
- You may supervise junior research (for example Ph.D. candidates) within the scope of our research program
- You will acquire external funds for research within the scope of the CADS research program, particularly the theme of Sustainability
- You hold a Ph.D. in Anthropology and have in-depth knowledge and experience in studying sustainability issues, preferably in interaction with diversity and/or inequality aspects
- You have experience with working in an interdisciplinary team
- You bring expertise with creative multimodal methods preferably film and documentary making
- You have a promising publication record, notably international peer-reviewed publications and/or (forthcoming) monographs, films or other multimodal formats
- You have experience in acquiring external research funds, and be willing and able to apply for international and national research grants (such as the Netherlands Research Council (NWO) VENI and VIDI funding schemes or the European Research Council Starting Grant scheme)
- You are an innovative and inspiring teacher who knows how to engage a diverse community of graduate and undergraduate students with an inclusive approach to teaching
- You are willing and able to meet the requirements for a Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) within two years if you do not already possess a Dutch University Teaching Qualification
- Applicants not speaking Dutch are willing and able to master a relevant level of linguistic competence (NT2) within a period of two years
About the faculty
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences consists of five institutes: Education and Child Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology and the Centre for Science and Technology Studies. The faculty has approximately 7,000 students and 1,025 employees. The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences brings together high-quality research and outstanding teaching as well as in multidisciplinary approaches. Please, visit the faculty’s website for more information.
Terms and conditions
We offera temporary position for one year starting 1 June 2023. A permanent appointment may be possible after the temporary term depending on good performance and available budget. Conditions of good performance, consistent with the selection criteria, are set at the beginning of the contract. The gross salary depends on qualifications and experience and ranges between € 3974,- and € 5.439- per month for a full time appointment (salaryscale 11according to the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme.Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Diversity and inclusion
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Enquiries can be made to prof.dr. Bart Barendregt, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit online your application no later than February 12, 2023via the blue button of our application system. The selection procedure will take place at the beginning of March. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview and job talk with presentation for the CADS team. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
- Applications should include:
- A one-page statement of interest indicating the names of your two referees (referees will be contacted only once candidates are shortlisted)
- A CV with list of your publications
- A one-page research statement covering your current and future research plans
- Two articles or papers, plus other possible formats you have been working on
- A one-page diversity statement in which you briefly explain, based on your own experiences, how you aim for an inclusive teaching environment which benefits the performance of all students. You are encouraged to include sample syllabi and teaching evaluations.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.