General Director Lorentz Center
- Vacancy number
- Job type
- Non-academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- External/ internal
- Internal , External
- Placed on
- 20 December 2022
- Closing date
- 31 January 2023 Vacancy closed
The Lorentz Center is looking to appoint a
General Director - (0.4 FTE)
Vacancy number: 22-865
About the Lorentz Center
The Lorentz Center is a national workshop center that supports scientific communities by providing a platform to discuss scientific developments, ideas and plans in an open and interactive atmosphere. Its driving force is advancing science by initiating and stimulating high-quality creative scientific collaborations and interactions – in the broadest possible sense and in a fully international setting. With its high-performing, empowered team the Lorentz Center is dedicated to foster collaboration among individual researchers, among scientific disciplines, between academic and industrial research, and between science and society. The Lorentz Center is embedded in the Faculty of Science at Leiden University, but serves the full breadth of academic disciplines.
Responsibilities & tasks
The Director carries the overall responsibility for the Lorentz Center and will spearhead the Lorentz Center and guides it towards its goals and ambitions. The Director chairs the Management Team consisting of three members, who together are in charge of the overall management of the Lorentz Center.
The Director values and nurtures talent, has a keen eye for diversity, and develops relevant partnerships across the University and beyond.
• Guards long-term balance in the scientific spectrum of activities of the Lorentz Center.
• Scouts, develops and sets up new collaborations and new initiatives and promotes the Lorentz Center activities at the national and international level, within academia and beyond.
• Manages and monitors long-term funding of the Lorentz Center.
• Develops the 5-year strategy for the Lorentz Center (together with the Management Team)
• Maintains and enlarges the relevant network (NWO, Executive Board, other faculties, City of Leiden, sister organizations).
• Fosters quality together with the (Management) Team and continuously pursues improvements of processes and/or formats.
• Actively develops and maintains contacts with scientific advisory boards of the Lorentz Center and the scientific communities they represent.
• Guides and sets up (the juries of) the diverse Lorentz Center workshop competitions.
The Director is a full professor, an active researcher holding a PhD, who brings ample leadership qualities and managerial experience. In addition, the ideal candidate:
• Is deeply committed to the core values of the Lorentz Center;
• Is a figurehead of the Lorentz Center;
• Has a transdisciplinary orientation, and a proven interest in and awareness of a broad range of research fields;
• Is firmly established in their own field of (preferably multidisciplinary) research;
• Is a strategic thinker, who can unite people behind a shared goal;
• Has a natural way to commit to and connect different interests, and can link these across multiple levels;
• Is able to create and maintain an open, diligent and respectful culture of consultation and communication, with a keen eye for diversity and inclusion;
• Has political sensitivity and proven experience in high-level research politics and administration;
• Is a good communicator and brings people together;
• Is experienced in (academic) administration;
• Is familiar with the Dutch academic culture and organisation;
• Has sensitivity to the questions of scientific and societal impact of the Lorentz Center.
The 0.4 FTE may be supplemented with a 0.6 FTE scientific position:
• Next to the role of Director of the Lorentz Center, we aim for a suitable embedding of the successful candidate in one of the research institutes of Leiden University, so that they may continue to be active in research and education.
Terms of employment
The Director can be appointed as a full professor in a permanent position.
The role of Director is for a term of 5 years, with the possibility of one extension. The Director is appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Science. The salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience – ranges from €6.099 to €10.721 gross per month for full-time employment (scale H2 or H1 according to the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities). The salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance of eight per cent and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3 per cent. Leiden University offers professional and personal development programs, and an attractive package of secondary benefits. Using the Individual Choices Model it is also possible to opt for personalized benefits. For more information, please visit: Overview of terms and conditions of employment - Leiden University (universiteitleiden.nl).
Appointment process and how to apply
Queries about the role can be directed to Anna Tudos, institute manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 71 527 5405. The closing date for applications is 31 January 2023. Applications should consist of a letter of motivation and a complete curriculum vitae including names of at least three individuals who could provide a reference. This material can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
Applications will be considered by the selection committee and shortlisted candidates will be invited for a first interview, which will be scheduled on 22 February 2023.