Research Software Engineer
- Vacancy number
- Job type
- Non-academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- External/ internal
- Placed on
- 28 April 2022
- Closing date
- 31 May 2022 Vacancy closed
The Faculty of Science, Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science, is looking for a
Research Software Engineer
As member of the LIACS Software Lab, you will:
• Develop and maintain research software for various scientific research projects that are carried out at LIACS;
• Interact with computer science researchers working in different fields at LIACS;
• Interact with computing and systems specialists of the Faculty and the University.
• An MSc in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence or a related field;
• Experience in developing and maintaining software systems for state-of-the-art machine learning, high performance computing, data mining and image processing;
• Extensive programming skills using a variety of tools and languages, ability to independently become familiar with new libraries and languages;
• Communication and service-oriented skills to support researchers and students working on research projects;
• Creative, ‘making things work’ mentality, independent, and communicative team player;
• Affinity with open-source research software and open science;
• Sufficient knowledge of English and Dutch.
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. Our people are driven by curiosity to expand fundamental knowledge and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline. The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is diverse, ranging from mathematics, artificial intelligence, computer science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2.300 staff and almost 5.000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together. For more information, see the website of the Faculty of Science.
The Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) is the Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science Institute in the Faculty of Science of Leiden University. We offer courses at the Bachelor and Master of Science level in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, ICT in Business, Media Technology, and Bioinformatics. According to an independent research visitation, we are one of the foremost computer science departments of the Netherlands. We live and breathe computing. We strive for excellence in a caring institute, where excellence, creativity, fun, and diversity go hand in hand. We offer a state of the art and challenging research computing environment for you to keep up and running, and to improve.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time permanent position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation, the appointment will be extended to a regular position. Salary range from € 2.846,- to € 4.490,- gross per month (pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups. We wish to reflect society both in age, gender and culture, as we believe that this would optimize the dynamics in our organization. Therefore, we support and understand the need for a work/life/family balance and consequent varying working hours and places. In the Netherlands, a maternity allowance is standard for 16 weeks. Child care is available at and near the Bio Science Park.
Enquiries can be made to Prof. Joost Visser, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to email@example.com.
Please ensure that you attach the following additional documents, quoting the vacancy number:
• Curriculum vitae (CV);
• Motivation letter including one paragraph that demonstrates the candidate's affinity with working in a computer science research environment;
• Link to public code repository (e.g., GitHub) or example of written code base;
• A one-page description of tools and programming languages the candidate has experience in;
• Names for two reference letters.
Only applications received before May 31, 2022 can be considered.