Assistant Professor of Economics
- Vacancy number
- 21-640 10210
- Job type
- Academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- External/ internal
- Placed on
- 3 December 2021
- Closing date
- 15 December 2021 Vacancy closed
The Department of Economics of Leiden Law School had a vacancy for an:
Assistant Professor of Economics (1,00 FTE)
Vacancy number 21-640 10210
The position comprises the following tasks:
- Teaching in the programme of the Department of Economics (as well as coordinating teaching);
- Research in a field that is relevant for the department;
- Management tasks within the department or faculty.
- A PhD in economics or another discipline that is relevant for the teaching and research profile of the department;
- Experience and affinity with teaching and coordinating courses;
- Excellent teaching qualities, demonstrated for example by teaching evaluations;
- Excellent research qualities which are relevant for the research profile of the department, demonstrated for example by (international) publications. Ideally, the research of the candidate is related to our research programme on social policy. Research agendas which are connected to other research programmes of Leiden Law School could be possible as well.
- Knowledge of the Dutch language is considered an advantage. If the successful applicant is not fluent in Dutch, he or she will be expected to learn Dutch within a period of approximately two years;
- You are a team player.
The Department of Economics is part of Leiden Law School (ranked #1 in the Netherlands for the subject of law and #24 in the 2016 QS World University Rankings by Subject). With over 5,000 students and 450 members of staff, Leiden Law School is one of the largest faculties in the Netherlands. The Faculty is housed in the beautifully restored Kamerlingh Onnes Building on the Steenschuur in Leiden. Working for the Leiden Law School means working in an inspiring scientific environment.
In the broad field of applied economics, the activities of the Department of Economics are concentrated on socio-economic policy, law and economics and the economics of taxation. The department provides courses for a number of study programmes, such as law, public administration, liberal arts and political science. Moreover, the department participates in a dual bachelor’s programme (Economics, Governance and Management) and a dual master’s programme (Economics and Governance), both hosted in The Hague.
Terms and conditions
- We offer a full-time position for 1.0 fte (38 hours per week). This concerns a position for one year, which may be converted into a permanent position.
- Salary range from € 52.294.- to € 81.330.- gross per year for a full-time position (pay scale 11 or 12), in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). This includes holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%). Salary scale depends on education and experience.
- Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
- Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to dr. Philippe van Gruisen, assistant professor.
Applications for this vacancy can be submitted via the blue button of our online system. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter stating your motivation for this position;
- A curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications;
- Recent teaching evaluations;
- A publication (or working paper);
- At this stage, it is not necessary to submit references or recommendation letters.
Only applications received before 15 december 2021 will be considered. The selection procedure will take place in January 2021.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.