Technician biological research
- Vacancy number
- Function type
- Non-academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- External/ internal
- Internal , External
- Placed on
- 9 November 2021
- Closing date
- 5 December 2021 Vacancy closed
The Faculty of Science Leiden and the Leiden Academic Center for Drug Research (LACDR) are looking for a
Technician biological research (1.0 fte)
Vacancy number: 21-580
The division of Systems Biomedicine and Pharmacology of the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is looking for a technician to support experimental (molecular) cell and microbiological research. The technician will support several research groups within the division with research in the area of training and support in performing in vitro experimental work on bacterial-pharmacological microbiological research in the field of antibiotic resistance and research in the field of advanced cell culture models including for instance organ-on-chip and bioprinting.
- Support and development of assays in the field of bacterial microbiology and antibiotic resistance, immunobiology, advanced mammalian/human cell culture models, and tissue slices.
- Support in export and development of molecular biological techniques including PCR assays, cloning, sequencing, and protein purification and characterization.
- Training of researchers and students in the use of an equipment and assays.
- Development and maintenance of protocols/SOPs.
- Monitoring and training on safe working practices at ML2 level.
- Routine maintenance of equipment
- Maintaining quality systems and databases for chemicals and cell lines/bacterial strains
- Placing of orders
- Contact person for questions from students and researchers
- Completed HBO or master degree in the field of cellular/molecular biology, microbiology or comparable fields.
- Relevant internships or work experience in the field of (molecular) biological and/or microbiological work and techniques
- Experience with working at BSL2/ML2 level is a plus.
- Experience with advanced cell culture models, microscopy/imaging, flow cytometry is a plus.
- Good command of English language; command of Dutch language is preferable.
- Enthusiastic, accurate and proactive.
- Independent but also able to work in a team environment.
The Faculty of Science at Leiden University is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic development are top priorities. Our people are committed to expand fundamental knowledge by curiosity and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline; their aim is to benefit science, and to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future.
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is very diverse, ranging from mathematics, information science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organized in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelors’ and twelve master’s programmes. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2,300 staff and over 5,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
What we offer
We offer a one year contract which may afterwards lead to a permanent contract. You will be appointed in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The salary ranges from € 2367 to € 3196 (scale 7) or € 2700 to € 3606 (scale 8) gross per month for a full time appointment, and is dependent on your working experience.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career program. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see the website.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups. LACDR is a highly diverse institute, in culture, background, and gender. We stand for excellence in a caring Institute. We wish to reflect society in all aspects, as we believe that this improves the dynamics in our organization. Therefore, we support and understand the need for a work/life/family balance and consequent varying working hours and places. We believe that doing good science is fun, and goes hand in hand with a friendly culture. In the Netherlands, a maternity allowance is standard for 16 weeks. Child care is available at and near the Bio Science Park.
For questions about the his position please contact Dr. Coen van Hasselt (email@example.com
To apply, please send an email to Monique Tjiong (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please mention the number of this position in the subject. Please include in your application:
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
- Names and contact details of 2 references
The deadline for this position is December 5, 2021.