- Vacancy number
- Function type
- Academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- External/ internal
- Placed on
- 04 August 2020
- Closing date
- 30 September 2020
As part of its expansion, Science Based Business (SBB) at the University of Leiden’s Faculty of Science is recruiting an
in Management Science (with a focus on Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation)
SBB spans science, medicine, and business, focusing on areas such as technology management, innovation, entrepreneurship, operations, and decision making. SBB programs fuse business scholarship with technology and industry engagement, and accordingly forge strong relationships to other groups within the Faculty of Science and the Leiden University Medical School. SBB is embedded within the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS). Accordingly, researchers at SBB are well positioned to build on some of the recent advances in computer science/AI that are of relevance to Management Science, and the Faculty’s thematic focus on Artificial Intelligence for Social Good offers researchers at SBB interesting collaboration opportunities in their research. Other important thematic focus areas of the faculty are Precision Medicine, and High-End Instrumentation. As part of its continuing expansion, SBB is developing new research and teaching programs in Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation.
- Produce impactful, quality research in international top journals in the field of Management Science with a focus on Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation in the context of technology-intensive industries such as biotechnology, AI, and high-tech instrumentation;
- Develop and deliver courses across the domains of entrepreneurship, strategy, and innovation with a focus on technology-intensive businesses;
- Forge collaborations with colleagues from across different institutes that make up the Faculty of Science, and LUMC, as well as industry partners at the Leiden BioScience park and beyond;
- A strong research record or demonstrated research potential in the area of entrepreneurship, strategy, and innovation with a focus on publishing articles in top journals;
- Completed a doctoral degree in management, or a related field by the time she/he assumes the position;
- Show a clear affinity with the multidisciplinary mission of Science Based Business that bridges scholarship and practice in management on the one hand, and the natural and biomedical sciences on the other hand.;
- Have the leadership skills required to forge relationships with key stakeholders groups inside and outside the university, and push forward the new research and teaching initiatives tied to Science Based Business;
- Excited to teach management subjects to undergraduate and/or postgraduate students with backgrounds in the sciences and biomedicine.
Leiden University was founded in 1575 and is one of Europe’s leading international research universities. It has seven faculties in the arts, sciences and social sciences, spread over locations in Leiden and The Hague. The University has over 5,500 staff members and 25,800 students. The motto of the University is 'Praesidium Libertatis' – Bastion of Freedom. In 2013 Leiden was the highest ranked university in the Netherlands in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The University counts among its former students and faculty ten leaders and Prime Ministers of the Netherlands including the current Prime Minister Mark Rutte, nine foreign leaders, among them the 6th President of the United States John Quincy Adams, a Secretary General of NATO, a President of the International Court of Justice, and sixteen recipients of the Nobel Prize.
The Faculty of Science teaches more than 3,000 students in the context of 8 bachelor’s and 11 master’s programmes. Working at the Faculty of Science means being part of an exciting, dynamic scientific environment which sets high standards for its students, staff and support staff alike. The Faculty is known for its friendly and team-spirited atmosphere, which promotes mutual exchange of knowledge. For more information, see the website.
Terms and conditions
We offer a 0.8-1.0 FTE position for the duration of 5 years. The position may be renewed based on need, funding and performance. Salary range from € 3.746,- to € 5.826,- gross per month on a 1.0 FTE base (pay scale 11-12 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he / she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to email@example.com. Please ensure to upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number::
- Curriculum vitae;
- Cover letter;
- The names of three references who can be contacted for shortlisted candidates.
Only applications received no later than 30 September 2020 can be considered.