Assistant/Associate/Full Professors in Chemistry
- Vacancy number
- Function type
- Academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- 10-12 positions
- External/ internal
- Placed on
- 13 February 2020
- Closing date
- 30 April 2020
The Faculty of Science, the Leiden Institute of Chemistry and the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research are looking for
Assistant/Associate/Full Professors in Chemistry
The Leiden Institute of Chemistry has opened:
- 3-4 staff positions in research related to Energy & Sustainability;
- 7-8 staff positions in research related to Chemical Biology (jointly with the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research).
We offer an attractive research and teaching environment, including scientific independence, a collaborative atmosphere, attractive start-up packages and a personal career-development track, including mentoring and support.
The candidate will perform research, contribute to the teaching tasks, and share other responsibilities of the Leiden Institute of Chemistry and/or the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research. Candidates from a wide range of fields in chemistry are invited to apply, in particular candidates with a proven track record in biological chemistry, structural biology, medicinal chemistry, molecular biology, inorganic chemistry/coordination chemistry, biophysical chemistry, computational chemical biology, electrochemical synthesis or organic chemistry. Candidates aspire to excel in their discipline, and are open to collaborate within the institute(s) with complementary disciplines, as well as those within our sister institutes in physics, biology, computer sciences and astronomy. Candidates are expected to contribute to the teaching programs of the Leiden Institute of Chemistry and/or the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research, which include Bachelor programs in Life Science & Technology (LST) and Molecular Science & Technology (MST) (both conducted jointly with the Technical University Delft), as well as in Biopharmaceutical Sciences (BPS), and Master programs in Life Science & Technology, Chemistry and Biopharmaceutical Sciences. The different positions have a variety of tasks:
- Talent in her/his own field of research;
- Uses her/his research experience to start (co-)supervising (post)doctoral research;
- Initiates ambitious research projects, writes national and international grant proposals;
- Teaches course components that have already been developed for the curriculum;
- Supervises her/his own research team and is willing and able to undertake administrative, managerial and governance tasks within the Institute.
- Established talent in her/his own field of research;
- Uses her/his research experience to (co-)supervise (post)doctoral research;
- Develops ambitious research projects, writes national and international grant proposals;
- Teaches and develops allocated course components of the curriculum;
- Supervises and manages her/his own research team and is willing and able to undertake administrative, managerial and governance tasks within the Institute and the Faculty.
- Established authority in her/his own field of research;
- Uses her/his wide-ranging research experience to supervise (post)doctoral research;
- Develops ambitious research projects, writes national and international grant proposals, and supports colleagues in developing theirs;
- Shows responsibility for the quality of teaching and contributes to improvement and innovation of the Ba and Ma programmes;
- Manages a professorial chair and research group and is willing and able to undertake administrative, managerial and governance tasks within the Institute, the Faculty and the University.
- PhD degree in Chemistry;
- Excellence in research, as proven by PhD thesis and publications;
- Depending on entry-level assistant/associate/full professor: Affinity to proven experience with teaching;
- Depending on entry-level assistant/associate/full professor: Potential to proven ability to obtain research grants.
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment, with a strong focus on personal and academic career development. Our people are committed to expand fundamental knowledge through curiosity-driven research and are stimulated to look beyond the borders of their own discipline, and in this way to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future.
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is highly diverse, and covers mathematics, computer science, astronomy, physics, chemistry, bio-pharmaceutical sciences, biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organized in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelor’s and twelve master’s programs. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 1,300 staff and almost 4,000 students. We are located at the heart of the Leiden Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s largest science parks.
The chemistry and life science research in the Leiden Institute of Chemistry is organized around two major research areas: ‘Chemical Biology’ and ‘Energy & Sustainability’. The institute’s research themes illustrate the central position of chemistry between biology, medicine and physics. The various research topics carried out within these themes are ideal for executing interdisciplinary research from, a strong monodisciplinary basis.
The research conducted at the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research is clustered within the divisions of BioTherapeutics, Drug Discovery & Safety and Systems Biomedicine & Pharmacology. The LIC and LACDR jointly conduct research at the axis of chemical biology and drug discovery.
Terms and conditions
The appointment will be at the level of assistant, associate or full professor based on the career level of the candidate. Salary range from €4.406,- to €8.127,- gross per month (pay scales 12-H2), in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ), and newly appointed staff is expected to obtain this qualification within 2-3 years from their appointment.
At the Faculty of Science we value inclusiveness and strive for a diverse community with equal opportunities for all. We give full support to our staff in achieving their potential to become independent academic reseachers and teachers. For more information about our policy on diversity and equality please go to the diversitypage on our website.
Enquiries can be made to the Scientific Director of the LIC, Herman Overkleeft, email email@example.com. Interested candidates are invited to get acquainted with our research and researchers through browsing the website of the LIC and/or the LACDR.
To apply for this vacancy, please send no later than 30 April 2020 an email to Astrid Vrieling, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- Letter of motivation;
- Full curriculum vitae, including a list of publications;
- Brief past and future research statements;
- Contact details of at least three persons who can be contacted for reference (and have agreed to be contacted).