Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship, Strategy and Innovation
- Vacancy number
- Function type
- Academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- 0.8-1.0 FTE
- External/ internal
- Placed on
- 11 June 2019
- Closing date
- 01 July 2019
The Faculty of Science at the University of Leiden is looking for an
Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship, Strategy and Innovation (0.8-1.0 FTE)
As part of its expansion, Science Based Business (SBB) at the University of Leiden’s Faculty of Science is recruiting an Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation.
SBB consists of a small, young, and dynamic group of researchers embedded within Leiden’s Faculty of Science. Scholarship at SBB spans science, medicine, policy, and business, focusing on areas such as technology management, innovation, organisation studies, entrepreneurship, and operations. SBB programs fuse business scholarship with science, technology and industry engagement, and accordingly forge strong relationships to other groups within the Faculty of Science and the Leiden University Medical School. Members of the SBB team held previous academic appointments at or have research degrees form RSM, Harvard, UCL, KU Leuven, and UT Dallas, and have held awards from prestigious funding bodies such as the ERC, the UK research councils, and the Wellcome trust.
- Produce impactful, quality research in international top journals in the field of Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Innovation;
- Develop and deliver courses on technology management and strategy, with an emphasis on high-tech sectors;
- Forge collaborations with colleagues from across different institutes that make up the Faculty of Science, and LUMC, as well as industry partners at the Leiden BioScience park and beyond.
- A strong research record or demonstrated research potential in the area of entrepreneurial management with a focus on publishing articles in top journals;
- Completed a doctoral degree in entrepreneurship, technology management, and strategy, or a related field by the time she/he assumes the position;
- Show a clear affinity with the multidisciplinary mission of Science Based Business that bridges scholarship and practice in management on the one hand, and the natural and biomedical sciences on the other hand;
- Leadership skills required to forge relationships with key stakeholders groups inside and outside the university, and push forward the new research and teaching initiatives tied to SBB;
- Be excited to teach management subjects to undergraduate and/or postgraduate students with backgrounds in the sciences and biomedicine.
Leiden University was founded in 1575 and is one of Europe’s leading international research universities. It has seven faculties in the arts, sciences and social sciences, spread over locations in Leiden and The Hague. The University has over 5,500 staff members and 25,800 students. The motto of the University is 'Praesidium Libertatis' – Bastion of Freedom. In 2013 Leiden was the highest ranked university in the Netherlands in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The University counts among its former students and faculty ten leaders and Prime Ministers of the Netherlands including the current Prime Minister Mark Rutte, nine foreign leaders, among them the 6th President of the United States John Quincy Adams, a Secretary General of NATO, a President of the International Court of Justice, and sixteen recipients of the Nobel Prize.
The Faculty of Science teaches more than 3,000 students in the context of 8 bachelor’s and 11 master’s programmes. Working at the Faculty of Science means being part of an exciting, dynamic scientific environment which sets high standards for its students, staff and support staff alike. The Faculty is known for its friendly and team-spirited atmosphere, which promotes mutual exchange of knowledge. For more information, see http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/science.
Terms and conditions
We offer a 0,8-1,0 FTE position for the duration of 5 years. The position may be renewed based on need, funding and performance. Salary range from € 3.637 - € 5.656, gross full-time base, (salary scale 11-12, Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with holiday allowances (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Enquiries can be made to Professor Simcha Jong, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the procedure, please contact Lisa Fillekes, e-mail: email@example.com, telephone: +31 71 527 4551.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Cover letter;
- The names of three references who can be contacted for shortlisted candidates.
Only applications received no later than the 1st July 2019 can be considered.