Postdoctoral fellow in Urban Metabolism/Industrial Ecology
- Vacancy number
- Function type
- Academic staff
- Hours (in fte)
- 0.9-1.0 FTE
- External/ internal
- Placed on
- 31 May 2018
- Closing date
- 27 June 2018
The Faculty of Science, Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML) is looking for a Postdoctoral fellow in Urban Metabolism/Industrial Ecology (0.9-1.0 FTE).
- You will contribute to education and research of the CML-Industrial Ecology (IE) department. The work will take place in the context of the Resilient City Hub of the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Centre for Sustainability;
- Research will consist of contributing to the project Circu-MAT (Circular city & Industry park MATerials metabolism learning package and assessment tool):
- Circu-MAT is funded by the EIT Raw Materials (www.eitrawmaterials.eu), the biggest European innovation program ever on raw materials, consisting of > 100 partners, comprising universities, research institutes and world leading companies;
- It is a project coordinated by Leiden University-CML, in collaboration with Delft University Delft, the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research TNO, and Chalmers University;
- It aims to develop a web-based tool for environmental and economic assessments of circularity improvements at urban level and a supportive educational package;
- The tasks include: playing a main role in the development of the assessment tool and contributing to the educational package.
- Next to some work on developing and testing the educational package of Circu-MAT, education will mainly consist of co-supervising MSc students that do their MSc thesis work in connection to CfS’s Resilient city hub. On an ad-hoc basis smaller contributions to CML’s educational programs such as the MSc Industrial Ecology and the Minor Sustainable Development may be asked.
- You must have a PhD in a relevant field. Relevant backgrounds include PhD’s in industrial ecology, urban metabolism, sustainability science, or (regional) economics and modelling. Candidates with a background in applied mathematics, computer science, or who developed good data and computing skills, and that are interested in environmental questions, will also be considered;
- Knowledge of industrial ecology tools including Life cycle assessment (LCA), Material flow analysis (MFA) and Environmentally extended input output analysis (EE IO) is a strong advantage;
- Strong data management, visualization and programming skills (e.g. in Matlab, Python or R) are essential;
- University level teaching skills are an advantage but not essential;
- You should be able to work in a dynamic, multi-project context: distributing his or her attention among the various projects and tasks, keeping an eye to deadlines and deliverables, taking initiatives and contacting partners;
- The international character of the work necessitates proficiency in English, passive and active, written and spoken. Proficiency in Dutch is an advantage.
The Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML) is positioned in the Faculty of Sciences of Leiden University. The core business of CML is to perform research and education in the interdisciplinary field of Environmental Sciences. CML has two Departments: Industrial Ecology (CML-IE) and Conservation Biology (CML-CB). Presently, over 90 fte (including postdocs and PhDs) are employed at CML. CML collaborates with the TU Delft and Erasmus University in the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Centre for Sustainability (LDE-CfS) and Centre for Metropoles and Mainports (LDE-CMM).
The CML-IE department is core partner in the Leiden / Delft joint degree Master program Industrial Ecology. The interdisciplinary program welcomes some 60-70 new students every year of which 50% come from abroad. Students have a background in either natural sciences, social sciences or engineering. Next to this CML contributes to various other teaching programs, including a Minor in Sustainable Development.
Research in the CML-IE department aims to provide a solid scientific basis for the analysis of sustainability via method development in the field of e.g. Life cycle assessment (LCA), material flow analysis (MFA) and environmentally extended input output analysis (EE IO). CML-IE is one of the globally best known institutes in this field. We apply such tools for specific case studies in fields such as aquaculture, concrete recycling, energy systems, critical materials, etc.
The Faculty of Science teaches more than 2,600 students in the context of 8 bachelor’s and 11 master’s programmes. Working at the Faculty of Science means being part of an exciting, dynamic scientific environment which sets high standards for its students, staff and support staff alike. The Faculty is known for its friendly and team-spirited atmosphere, which promotes mutual exchange of knowledge.
Terms and conditions
We offer a one year term position, with the possibility of renewal for one additional year based on need, funding and performance. The work will mainly take place at Leiden University under the supervision of Dr. Benjamin Sprecher, manager of LDE CfS Resilient City hub. Intensive collaboration with staff at the other partners in Circu-MAT is foreseen as well.
The salary range is from €2,588 to €4,084 gross per month (pay scale 10), in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups. We aim to employ more women in areas where they are underrepresented. Women are therefore especially invited to apply.
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Benjamin Sprecher or Prof. Arnold Tukker.
See also "Further information".
To apply for this vacancy, please send in English an email quoting the vacancy number via the blue button. Please ensure that you upload your CV and the names and phone numbers of two references quoting the vacancy number.
Interviews will take place on 3 July between 1 PM and 5 PM. You are kindly requested to be available on this date.