My PhD research taps into China’s state media outlet Xinhua News Agency’s reporting perspectives on social media platforms. My approach to discourse analysis provides a picture of how Xinhua forms its communicative strategies under the overarching regulations and guidelines.
My research includes both qualitative and quantitative analyses of the public discourse in Chinese online media platforms. Throughout my research, I have incorporated a variety of digital tools for data analysis. My study of China’s geopolitical strategy with respect to the current Belt and Road Initiative and its challenges ahead is to understand how digital media are shaping the communicative strategies of the traditional mass media in contemporary China. By examining the intertwined relations among traditional mass media, social media platforms, China’s cultural governance and policy-making mechanisms, my research also expands our understanding of how the advances of the ICTs influence the government’s communicative strategies.
Supervisors: Dr. Florian Schneider and Prof. dr. Stefan Landsberger
Feb 2019 – Aug 2019 Lecturer Institute for Area Studies, Leiden University
Jul 2016 – Jan 2017 Researcher Political Science Dept., Leiden University
Sep 2015 – present Columnist Map Magazine, Sino-maps Press, Beijing
Oct 2014 – Jan 2016 Host Chinese Radio & TV, Amsterdam
Dec 2012 – Sep 2014 Docent School of Arts, Xi’an Intl. Studies University
Jul 2011 – Feb 2012 Journalist Xinhua News Agency Overseas Bureau, London
2014 – 2019 Doctor of Philosophy Political Communication, Leiden University
2010 – 2011 Master of Arts TV Journalism, Nottingham Trent University
2009 – 2010 Exchange program English Literature, University of Oklahoma
2006 – 2009 Bachelor of Arts English Literature, Xi’an Intl. Studies University
2018 Dutch Language Level 5 (B2) Course, Leiden University
2017 Human Resource Management Training & Development,
2017 China CVPP Online Nomination for Outstanding Individuals
2016 Grant for Conference Attendance, Leiden University
2015 Grant for PhD Fieldwork, Leiden University Fund
2014 Grant for PhD Research, Chinese Scholarship Council
2013 Award on Multi-Media Creative Classes, Chinese Education Dept.
2012 Teaching award, Xi’an International Studies University
2009 Scholarship for Reciprocal Exchange, the University of Oklahoma
2007 Scholarship in BA Studies, Xi’an International Studies University
- “New Diplomacy Discourse on Twitter: China’s Belt and Road Initiative,” Journal of China and International Relations (submitted February 2019, working paper with Miao Shengfa).
- “Contradictions of Individualism and Public Opinion—Interpreting Thoreau’s Detachment,” Foreign Literature Journal, Vol.11, 2016: 150-156. Shaanxi Normal University Press. (“个人主义与公共舆论的矛盾与抗衡—解读梭罗的自由精神,” 外国文学论丛. )
- “The Beauty and Tragedy in Feminism,” Masterpieces Review, No.1, Shanxi: Taiyuan, 2014: 45-47. (“女性主义演绎的悲剧之美,” 名作欣赏.)
- “The Tragic Destiny between Reality and Fantasy—On Interpreting Feminist Characters of Henry James and F. Scott Fitzgerald,” Journal of Xi’an International Studies University, Vol. 21(4), 2013: 100-105. (“现实与理想的命运悲歌——解读亨利•詹姆斯和弗•司•菲兹杰拉德笔下的女性角色,” 西安外国语大学学报.)
- “Forming New Diplomatic Discourse on Twitter – A Closer Look at China’s Belt and Road Initiative”, with Miao Shengfa, the 16th China Internet Research Conference 2018, Leiden, Netherlands, 2018 May.
- “Shaping New Diplomacy Discourse in the Context of Globalization? – Mapping China’s Belt and Road Initiative”, with Miao Shengfa, IAPSS World Congress 2018, Paris, France, 2018 April.
- “China’s Communication Policy and Digital Consumption”, New York Conference on Asian Studies (NYCAS) 2017, Geneva, US, 2017 September.
- “Conducting Discourse Analysis on Social Media Messaging”, The 4th National Corpus and Translation Studies Seminar, Xi’an, China, 2017 April.
- “China’s Policies on Social Media Messaging — Reviewing Xinhua News Agency’s Posts on One Belt One Road Initiative”, Aalborg, Denmark, 2017 January.
- “Interpreting Thoreau’s Detachment”, The Nineteenth Academic Seminar of Shaanxi Foreign Literature Society, Hanzhong, China, 2014 April.
- “Reviewing Xinhua’s Posts on Crime and International News”, The Fourth International Conference on Multicultural Discourses, Hangzhou, China, 2013 October.
- Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen
- Leiden Institute for Area Studies
- SAS China
No relevant ancillary activities