Verna van der Kooy-Hofland
After graduation from Teachers’ Training College for Primary Education in Rotterdam, she worked as a teacher in primary education from 1979 to 1993 in Delft. In 1996 she received her M.A. degree in Education and Child Studies at Leiden University. From 1996 to 2002 she worked as staff developer and school psychologist at an Education Advisory Service (OnderwijsAdvies, Delft). From 2002 she worked as a lecturer in Education and Child Studies at Leiden University while (since 2005) completing her PhD research on the effects of an early literacy program.
In line with the theory of differential susceptibility, children with mild perinatal adversities seem to be more open to environmental input, for better and for worse (dissertation, 2011). Further research should clarify why a more structured environment encourages the learning behavior of children at risk.
- Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der, Kooy J. van der, Bus A.G., Van IJzendoorn M.H. & Bonsel G.J. (2012), Differential susceptibility to early literacy intervention in children with mild perinatal adversities: Short- and long-term effects of a randomized control trial, Journal of Educational Psychology 104(2): 337-349.
- Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der, Bus A.G. & Roskos K. (2012), Effects of a brief but intensive remedial computer intervention in a sub-sample of kindergartners with early literacy delays, READING AND WRITING 25: 1479-1497.
- Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der, Kegel C.A.T. & Bus A.G. (2011), Evidence-based computer interventions targeting phonological awareness to prevent reading problems in at-risk young students. In: Handbook of early literacy research, Volume 3. New York: Guilford Press. 214-227.
- Bus A.G., Kegel C.A.T. & Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der (2011), Interactief leesonderwijs voor kleuters. In: Jong P.F. de, Koomen H.M.Y. (Eds.) Interventie bij onderwijsleerproblemen. Apeldoorn: Garant. 83-93.
- Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der (29 September 2009), Efficacy of a web-based intervention for kindergarten children with poor early literacy skills (Lecture). Wenen, Oostenrijk.
- Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der & Bus A.G. (28 August 2009), Efficacy of a web-based intervention for kindergarten children with poor early reading skills (Lecture). Amsterdam.
- Bus A.G., Verhallen M.J.A.J. & Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der (2009), Digital picture storybooks, Better: Evidence-based Education Magazine : 16-17.
- Bus A.G., Verhallen M.J.A.J. & Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der (2009), Digital picture storybooks, Better: Evidence-based Education Magazine 1(1): 16-17.
- Kegel C.A.T., Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der & Bus A.G. (2009), Improving early phoneme skills with a computer program: Differential effects of regulatory skills, Learning and Individual Differences 19: 549-554.
- Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der & Bus A.G. (24 July 2008), A local model to teach phonetic sensitivity in Dutch. In: Timothy Papadopoulus and George Georgiou, Reading development in languages with transparent orthographics: From local models to universal theories (Lecture). Berlin.
- Jong M.T. de, Bus A.G., Verhallen M.J.A.J. & Kooy-Hofland V.A.C. van der (12 April 2007), Linquistic development under the influence of living books (Lecture). Groningen.
No relevant ancillary activities