Lecturer / Postdoc
Dr Vasiliki Tsagkroni is a Lecturer in Political Science at the Institute of Political Science.
Dr Vasiliki Tsagkroni holds a PhD in politics from Queen Mary University London (2015), and a MA from Panteion University of Athens (2008) and a BA from the same institution (2005). Before joining Leiden University, they have previously worked as a lecturer at Erasmus University Rotterdam and University of Bournemouth. They have also been a Research Associate at Queen Mary University London, University of Leicester and University of Keele.
Their research included best EU practices to anti-counter populism, in the context of economic austerity and dwindling opportunities for young people, a cross-European policy analysis on climate change in a party level and a cross-European comparative analysis of governments’ responsiveness to citizens’ demands and preferences between elections. Their area of research is political communication and the use of marketing and branding in politics, focusing on the interaction between communication strategies and political parties. Their main research and teaching interests include political marketing and branding, political communication and social media, populism, policy making, comparative politics, radical right politics and research methods. They have also been the Principal Investigator on a project examining the integration of migrants and refugees in Greece, aiming to propose optimal integration policies for migrants and refugees based on international experience and identify those practices that accentuate wider acceptance by migrants/refugees, shedding light on a parameter that has been overlooked. They are currently also part of the cross-European international projects of Democrisis and Disargue, both focusing on political discourse and policy making in times of crisis.
Their work has been published in journals as Journal of Common Market Studies, Party Politics and British Journal of Politics and International Relations and numerous edited books and Have been the editor on a special issue on migration in the journal of Media and Communication. They are the co-convenor of the Greek Politics Specialist Group (GPSG) of Political Studies Association (PSA) and member of the Editorial Board of Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism (SEN) and a Senior Fellow at the Centre for Analysis of the Radical Right (CARR).
- Tsagkroni V. (2015), First thoughts on the 25 January 2015 election in Greece GPSG Pamphlet.
- V Leontitsis, V Tsagkroni, G Vosinakis, R Gerodimos, D Dimopoulou, G Karyotis & D Skleparis (2020), Συγκριτική Ανάλυση Ένταξης Μεταναστών και Προσφύγων στην Ελλάδα [Comparative Analysis of Migrant and Refugee Integration in Greece]: Dianeosis.
- Tsagkroni V. (2019), A televised political solution:The case of the Greek Solution and its leader. Chapter in GPSG Pamphlet No 6 "First Thoughts on the 7 July 2019 Election in Greece". Greece, (Political Studies Association). [other].
- Alencar A. & Tsagkroni V. (2019), Prospects of Refugee Integration in the Netherlands: Social Capital, Information Practices and Digital Media, Media and Communication 7(2): 184-194.
- Tsagkroni V. & Alencar A. (2019), Introduction to “Refugee Crises Disclosed: Intersections between Media, Communication and Forced Migration Processes”, Media and Communication 7(2): 169-172.
- Ladi S. & Tsagkroni V. (2019), Analysing Crisis Parliamentary Discourse in Greece: Whom Should We Blame, Journal of Common Market Studies 57(4): 729-748.
- Tsagkroni V. (2019), Νοσταλγικός εθνικισμός και ρητορική εξόδου, η περίπτωση της βρετανικής ριζοσπαστικής δεξιάς, Σύγχρονα Θέματα .
- Carter N., Ladrech R., Little C. & Tsagkroni V. (2018), Political parties and climate policy: A new approach to measuring parties’ climate policy preferences, Party Politics 24(6): 731-742.
- Trantidis A. & Tsagkroni V. (2017), Clientelism and corruption: Institutional adaptation of state capture strategies in view of resource scarcity in Greece, The British Journal of Politics and International Relations 19(2): 263-281.
- Lazaridis G. & Tsagkroni V. (2016), Identitarian Populism in Britain. In: Lazaridis G., Giovanna C., Benveniste A. (Eds.) The Rise of the Far Right in Europe Populist Shifts and 'Othering'.: Palgrave.
- Lazaridis G. & Tsagkroni V. (2016), Posing for Legitimacy? Identity and Praxis of Far-Right Populism in Greece. In: Lazaridis G., Campani G., Benveniste A. (Eds.) The Rise of the Far Right in Europe Populist Shifts and 'Othering'.: Palgrave.
- Tsagkroni V., Polymeropoulou M. & Lazaridis G. (2016), Networks and alliances against the Islamisation of Europe. In: Lazaridis G. , Campani G. (Eds.) Understanding the populist shift: othering in a Europe in crisis.: Routledge.
- Lazaridis G. & Tsagkroni V. (2015), Modern Day Blackshirts’: The strategies of hate against the ‘other’ in Greece and the UK, Journal for the Critique of Science, Imagination, and New Anthropology .
- Tsagkroni V. (2015), The Challenge and Opportunity of Leadership GPSG Pamphlet.
- Lazaridis G. & Tsagkroni V. (2015), Securitisation of Migration and Far Right Populist Othering in Scandinavian Countries. In: Lazaridis G., Wadia K. (Eds.) The Securitisation of Migration in the EU.: Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Vasiliki Tsagkroni (28 March 2014), Political Communication in perspective: Identifying the message of Radical Right Parties in Europe during the first decade of the 21st century: A comparative case study (PhD thesis, Political Science and International Relations, Queen Mary University London): ProQuest Dissertations Publishing. Supervisor(s): Judith Bara, Raymond Kuhn, Catherine Needham.
No relevant ancillary activities