Syahril Siddik is a PhD student at the Institute for Area Studies.
Fields of interest
- Southeast Asia
- New Media
MEDIATING ISLAM: PROPAGATING ISLAM THROUGH POPULAR INDONESIAN TV SHOWS
Syahril Siddik looks at texts and practices of the propagation of Islam in Indonesian television channels to investigate the relations between Islam and media within the context of how the propagation is produced and reproduced and how Indonesian Muslims identify themselves in Indonesia.
Teaching and supervision
- Islamic Theology
- Thoughts of Islamic Education
- Freelance Translator, Indonesian Translator Association,2012 - present.
- Lecturer, Faculty of Islamic Education, State Islamic University of Malang, Indonesia, 2012 - 2013.
- Academic Staff of Vice Rector for Academic Affairs, State Islamic University of Malang, Indonesia, 2011 - 2013
- Master of Arts (MA) in Islamic Studies, Leiden University, The Netherlands, with a thesis Cursing the Sacred: recent debates on blasphemy in Indonesia
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English Language and Literature, Maulana Malik Ibrahim State Islamic University, Malang, East Java, Indonesia
Grants and awards
- Indonesia Endowment Fund for Education, Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Indonesia, 2013.
- Training Indonesia's Young Leaders Programmes, Leiden University, 2010.
- Best Graduate, Department of English Language and Literature, Faculty of Humanities and Culture, State Islamic University of Malang, Indonesia, 2008
Siddik, Syahril (2007),“Islam and the West in Indonesian Perspectives”, in el-Maʻrifah, State Islamic University of Malang.
Siddik, Syahril (2006),“Revitalizing Islam in Globalization Era: Indonesian Context”, in el-Ma’rifah, State Islamic University of Malang.