Dr S.E. Rap has been a member of the Department of Child Law, Institute for Private Law since April 2015 where she works as Assistant Professor.
Leiden Law Blog
News Stephanie Rap
Dr Stephanie Rap is Assistant Professor at the Department of Child Law at Leiden University. She holds master’s degrees in Pedagogical sciences and Criminology. In 2013 she defended her PhD dissertation on juvenile criminal law, The participation of juvenile defendants in the youth court: A comparative study of juvenile justice procedures in Europe at Utrecht University. Stephanie Rap has published and presented extensively on juvenile justice, children’s rights and child participation in legal and administrative proceedings. She lectures on topics related to juvenile justice and child protection in the Master of Laws in Advanced Studies in International Children’s Rights.
- Bachelor of science in pedagogical sciences, Utrecht University, 2005
- Master of science in Social education and youth policy, Utrecht University, 2006
- Master of arts in Criminology, Utrecht University, 2008
Title of dissertation / oration / key publications
The participation of juvenile defendants in the youth court: A comparative study of juvenile justice procedures in Europe, Pallas Publications, 2013.
- Rap, S. & Zlotnik, D. (2018). Procedural safeguards for children in conflict with the law in Europe. Reflections on the EU Directive on procedural safeguards for children who are suspects or accused persons in criminal proceedings. European Journal of Crime, Criminal Law and Criminal Justice, 26, 110-131.
- Daly, A. & Rap, S. (2018, online first). Children’s Participation in the Justice System. In U. Kilkelly & T. Liefaard (Eds.), International Human Rights of Children. Singapore: Springer
- Rap, S. (2016). A children’s rights perspective on the participation of juvenile defendants in the youth court. The International Journal of Children’s Rights, 24(1), pp. 94-112.
- Rap, S. (2016). The implementation of the right to be heard in juvenile justice proceedings in Europe. In I. Iusmen & H. Stalford (Eds.), The EU as a Global Children’s Rights Actor: Law, Policy and Structural Dimensions (pp. 133-163). London: Barbara Budrich Publishers.
- Rap, S. (2015). The participation of social services in youth justice systems in Europe. European Journal of Social Work, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 675–689.
Courses within institution associated with
Stephanie Rap teaches in the courses Children in the justice system and Child protection and children’s rights and supervises theses in the Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Children's Rights.
Dutch / English / German / French.
- Lidmaatschap Netherlands Network for Human Rights Research
- Redactielidmaatschap Tijdschrift voor Jeugd- en Kinderrechten
- Lidmaatschap en redactielid