Dr. S.E. Rap is part of the Department of Child Law, Institute for Private Law since the 1st of April 2015 as assistant professor.
Dr. Stephanie Rap is assistant professor at the Child Law Department at Leiden University. She holds master’s degrees in Pedagogical sciences and Criminology. In 2013 she defended her Ph.D. dissertation in juvenile criminal law titled The participation of juvenile defendants in the youth court: A comparative study of juvenile justice procedures in Europe at Utrecht University. Stephanie Rap has published and presented extensively on juvenile justice, children’s rights and child participation in legal proceedings. She lectures on topics related to juvenile justice and child protection in the Master of Laws in Advanced Studies in International Children’s Rights.
- Bachelor of science in pedagogical sciences, Utrecht University, 2005
- Master of science in Social education and youth policy, Utrecht University, 2006
- Master of arts in Criminology, Utrecht University, 2008
Title of dissertation / oration / key publications
The participation of juvenile defendants in the youth court: A comparative study of juvenile justice procedures in Europe, Pallas Publications, 2013.
- Rap, S. (2017). The voice of the child in juvenile justice procedures. In T. Liefaard & J. Sloth-Nielsen (Eds.), The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child: Taking Stock after 25 Years and Looking Ahead (pp. 294-315). Leiden: Brill/Nijhoff.
- Rap, S. (2016). A children’s rights perspective on the participation of juvenile defendants in the youth court. The International Journal of Children’s Rights, 24(1), pp. 94-112.
- Rap, S. (2016). The implementation of the right to be heard in juvenile justice proceedings in Europe. In I. Iusmen & H. Stalford (Eds.), The EU as a Global Children’s Rights Actor: Law, Policy and Structural Dimensions (pp. 133-163). London: Barbara Budrich Publishers.
- Rap, S. (2015). The participation of social services in youth justice systems in Europe. European Journal of Social Work, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 675–689.
- Rap, S., & Weijers, I. (2014). The effective youth court. Juvenile justice procedures in Europe. The Hague: Eleven international publishing.
Courses within institution associated with
Stephanie Rap is academic coordinator of the Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Children’s Rights. She teaches in the courses Children in the justice system and Child protection and children’s rights.
Ancillary positions + organisation
Stephanie Rap is a member of the editorial board of the Dutch journal Jeugdrecht in de Praktijk (Sdu Uitgevers).
Dutch / English / German / French.
- Redactielid tijdschrift 'Jeugdrecht in Praktijk'