Fields of Interest
- Politics and popular culture
- Representation in South Asian and world cinema
- Politics and media: spaces and negotiations
- Indian politics: systems and processes
- Religious and cultural nationalism
- Communalism and riot politics
- Politics of developing societies
- Climate politics and ethics
- PhD (Political Studies) from Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi; Topic: Representation of the Muslim Identity in Popular Hindi Cinema (1991-2012), 2014
- MPhil (Political Studies) from Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi; Topic: Communalization of the Print Media in India: A Study of the Gujarati Press during the 2002 Gujarat Riots, 2007
- MA (Political Studies) from Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 2003
- BA (Journalism Hons.) from Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi, University of Delhi, 2001
- Assistant Professor, Amity School of Liberal Arts, Amity University Gurgaon Campus, Gurgaon, India (Since August 2013)
- Fellow, The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi (2005-2013)
- Visiting Lecturer, Department of Journalism, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi (March 2005-April 2005)
- Guest Lecturer, Department of Political Science, Gargi College, University of Delhi (November 2004-March 2005)
The Islamist Terrorist in Popular Hindi Cinema: Crisis of Perspective in New York and Kurbaan? Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Occasional Paper, Perspectives in Indian Development, New Series 17, Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, 2013 (ISBN: 81-87614-79-X)
Book Chapters/ Conference Proceedings
- ‘Manto’s Universe: The Progressive Writer’s Movement as a tool of Literary Resistance’, Proceedings of English Language and Literature: a tool for humanizing (ELLATH 2015), ISBN: 978-81-924212-7-8, pp. 194-196, 2015
- ‘Fault lines of Memory and Remembrance: The Dynamics of “Escaping the Past” in Jhumpa Lahiri’s The Lowland’, In Dynamics of Progression: A Critical Overview of Indian Women's Writing in English, edited by Archana Singh and Jyoti Tabita Hermit, New Delhi: Excel India Publishers, 2014
- ‘Rural India shining’, In Environment Chronicles: the best of TerraGreen, New Delhi: TERI Press, 2011
- ‘Roadmap to sustainable cities’, In Environment Chronicles: the best of TerraGreen, New Delhi: TERI Press, 2011
- ‘Stolen from within: human organ trade in India’, In Environment Chronicles: the best of TerraGreen, New Delhi: TERI Press, 2011
- ‘Muslims on Television: News and Representation on Satellite Channels’, In Television in India: satellites, politics, and cultural change, edited by Nalin Mehta, Routledge-Taylor and Francis, UK, 2008
- ‘Can politics and the climate change debate be separated?’ International Journal of Regulation and Governance, ISSN: 0972-4907, December 2013, Volume 13, Issue 2, pp. 85-91. New Delhi: TERI.
- ‘Modes of representation in American cinema: from masculinity to Muslims’, International Journal of Physical and Social Sciences, ISSN: 2249-5894, Volume 4, Issue 9, September 2014, pp. 27-46.
- ‘An analysis of vernacular newspapers Gujarat Samachar and Sandesh during 2002 Gujarat riots’, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Educational Research, Vol. 3, Issue 6 (2), June 2014, ISSN : 2277 - 7881, pp. 105-140.
- ‘Communal Violence in India: Perspectives on Causative Factors’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. Xl No.20, May 14-20, 2005.
- ‘Education, Media and Hindutva’, South Asian Cultural Studies Journal, Vol.1 No.1, January 2006.
- ‘The Shiv Sena in Maharashtra’, Indian Journal of Secularism, Vol.9, No.1, April-June 2005.
- ‘Assessing the Indian TV Juggernaut’, The Book Review, Volume XXXIX, Number 7, July 2015.
- ‘How Public Culture is Shaped’, The Book Review, South Asia Volume XXIII, February 2014.
- ‘Contextualizing Indian Politics’, The Book Review, Volume XXXVIII, Number 7, July 2014.
- ‘Bollywood Theory Revisited’, The Book Review, Vol. XXXVI, Number 5, May 2012.
- ‘Policing Cinema in the Age of Extremism’, The Book Review, Volume XXXVI, Number 9, March 2013.
- ‘Representing Trauma’, The Book Review, Vol. XXXV, Number 3, March 2011.
- ‘Political Change in Times of 24x7 Television’, The Book Review, Vol. XXXV, Number 12, December 2011.
- ‘Symbolic Forms and Human Encounters’, The Book Review, Vol. XXXIV, Number 12, December 2010.
In the media
- ‘Development’ in the time of elections, Verdict 2014 - Special Analysis on Elections 2014, The Hindu Centre for Politics and Public Policy, http://www.thehinducentre.com/verdict/commentary/article5844213.ece, March 2014
- ‘ In representations of terror, Bollywood finds nuance’, Interview with The Sunday Guardian, published on 6 January 2013.
- ‘In the name of God: time to chant a green mantra’, TerraGreen, October 2008
- ‘Nuclear Energy: what, how, and when’, TerraGreen, September 2008
- ‘Climate change: Is doomsday just around the corner?’, TerraGreen, August 2008
- ‘Nature’s Fury: Can India cope with natural disasters?’, TerraGreen, July 2008
- ‘The Million Dollar Man’, TerraGreen, June 2008
- ‘China: waves of change’, TerraGreen, February-March 2008
- Interview with Al Gore, TerraGreen, April 2008
- ‘The chemistry of a bomb’, TerraGreen, September 2008
- ‘From tradition to sustainability: rainwater harvesting through traditional methods’, TerraGreen, August 2008
- ‘Coming up…a new breed of environmentalists!’ TerraGreen, February-March 2008
- ‘Our crumbling past: are we losing our heritage?’ TerraGreen, February-March 2008
- ‘India shining’, TerraGreen, January-March 2007
- ‘The King is dying’, TerraGreen, June-July 2007
Grants and Awards
- Asia Modernities and Traditions (AMT) grant for organizing academic seminar on “Reading Contemporary India through the Cinematic Lens”, 11-12 February 2016
- Erasmus Mundus IBIES Scholarship for Post-Doctoral Studies at Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, Leiden University, The Netherlands, September 2015-June 2016