Myrthe Jansen completed her bachelor (Psychology, 2015) and research master (Clinical and Health Psychology, 2017) at Leiden University. From October 2017 until July 2018 she worked as a research assistant in the social performance monitoring (SPM) lab of Prof. dr. Ellen de Bruijn. Since September 2018, she works as a PhD candidate in the SPM lab at the Clinical Psychology Unit of Leiden University.
To behave in a safe and socially adequate manner, humans need to monitor their own and other’s actions continuously for errors and possible deviations from goals, and also need to take into account how their own actions affect others. In this PhD project, Myrthe will investigate alterations in the neural mechanisms of these so-called social performance monitoring processes, from both a clinical and pharmacological perspective. Specifically, she will use behavioural and neuroimaging (EEG and fMRI) paradigms, as well as pharmacological manipulations targeting the roles of dopamine and the neuropeptide oxytocin, to gain more insight into altered social performance-monitoring processes in healthy volunteers as well as in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Overgaauw S., Jansen M. & Bruijn E.R.A. de (2020), Self-centered or other-directed: neural correlates of performance monitoring are dependent on psychopathic traits and social context, Cortex 129: 199-210.
- Jansen M. & Bruijn E.R.A. de (2020), Mistakes that matter: an event-related potential study on obsessive-compulsive symptoms and social performance monitoring in different responsibility contexts, Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience 20: 684–697.
- Jansen M., Overgaauw S. & Bruijn E.R.A. de (2020), Social cognition and obsessive-compulsive disorder: a review of subdomains of social functioning, Frontiers in Psychiatry 11: 118.
- De Bruijn E.R.A., Jansen M. & Overgaauw S. (2020), Enhanced error-related brain activations for mistakes that harm others: ERP evidence from a novel social performance-monitoring paradigm, NeuroImage 204: 116238.
- Overgaauw S., Jansen M., Korbee N.J. & Bruijn E.R.A. de (2019), Neural Mechanisms Involved in Social Conformity and Psychopathic Traits: Prediction Errors, Reward Processing and Saliency, Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience 13: e160.
- Hamstra D., De Kloet E., Quataert I., Jansen M. & Van der Does A.J.W. (2017), Mineralocorticoid receptor haplotype, estradiol, progesterone and emotional information processing, Psychoneuroendocrinology 76: 162–173.
No relevant ancillary activities