External PhD candidate
Mariana Gkliati is a legal researcher specializing in human rights protection in Europe and European Refugee Law and European Migration Law.
Mariana Gkliati is currently conducting doctoral research at the Europa Institute under the supervision of Prof. dr. Peter Rodrigues and Prof. dr. Leonard Besselink. Her research focuses on legal accountability and effective legal protection of individuals against human rights violations in the area of asylum and immigration attributed to the EU agency Frontex (European Border and Coast Guard Agency). She further teaches on the MA in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies of the Refugee Law Initiative (SOAS, University of London).
She holds an editorial board position at the Refugee Law Initiative Working Paper Series (University of London), and is an External Affiliate to Statewatch (Frontex Observatory). Further, she is PhD representative and member of the Steering Committee of the Netherlands Network for Human Rights Research (NNHRR). Since 2017 she is (co)founder and (co)chair of the Migration and Borders Working Group of the NNHRR.
Her work experience is shared among Vienna, Athens, and Leiden. She studied Law at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and obtained a Legal Research Master’s degree at Utrecht University. She has previously worked at the EU Fundamental Rights Agency in the area of asylum, migration, and borders and as a legal case reporter and commentator for Oxford Reports on International Law. She has had an earlier carrier as a journalist, covering stories mainly on education and civil and social rights, and has voluntarily worked for the Greek NGO AITIMA.
- Gkliati M. (4 September 2020), Refugee Covid case sparks 'closed camps' fears on Lesbos Interviewed by Katy Fallon for The Guardian [interview].
- Jones C., Kilpatrick J. & Gkliati M. (2020), Deportation Union: Rights, accountability, and the EU's push to increase forced removals: Statewatch.
- Gkliati M. (2020), Frontex Systemic Accountability in Practice - pilot: Open Society Initiative for Europe.
- Gkliati M. (4 December 2019), FRONTEX: The making of a ‘super agency’ Interviewed by Apostolis Fotiadis for Refugee Support Aegean [interview].
- Gkliati M. (6 June 2019), Biometrics: The new frontier of EU migration policy in Niger Interviewed by Giacomo Zandonini for The New Humanitarian [interview].
- Gkliati M. (3 May 2019), Οδηγός της μεταναστευτικής πολιτικής στην Ε.Ε. ο φόβος (Fear leads the EU migration policy). EFSYN.
- Gkliati M. (24 April 2019), European Border and Coast Guard: The EU force of securitisation in migration governance. RLI Blog on Refugee Law and Forced Migration: Refugee Law Initiative [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (17 April 2019), The new European Border and Coast Guard: Do increased powers come with enhanced accountability?. EU Law Analysis: Expert insight into EU law developments [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (2019), Frontex and data protection: Statewatch. [Policy Brief].
- Gkliati M. & Rosenfeldt H. (2018), Accountability of the European Border and Coast Guard Agency: Recent developments, legal standards and existing mechanisms Refugee Law Initiative (RLI) Working Paper no. 30. London: Refugee Law Initiative, School of Advanced Study, University of London. [Working paper].
- Gkliati M. (8 October 2018), The next phase of the European Border and Coast Guard: towards operational effectiveness. EU Law Analysis: Expert insight into EU law developments [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (1 October 2018), Vom Helfer zum Häftling: Griechenland kriminalisiert Seenotretter (Greece criminalised Sea Rescuers. From helper to prisoner). Interviewed by Giorgos Christides for Der Spiegel [interview].
- Gkliati M. (2 June 2018), Europe on Trial (Lecture). Forum on European Culture.
- Perre N., De Vries M., Richards H. & Gkliati M. (16 April 2018), Refugee Crisis: three perspectives on the makings of a crisis. RLI Blog on Refugee Law and Forced Migration: Refugee Law Initiative [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (2018), A Nexus Approach to the Responsibility of the European Border and Coast Guard: From Individual to Systemic Accountability. Tilburg: Seminar "Controlling Migration through Cooperation: Recent trends in the externalisation of migration control".
- Gkliati M. (2017), The EU-Turkey Deal and the Safe Third Country Concept before the Greek Asylum Appeals Committees, Movements, Journal for Critical Migration and Border Regime Studies 3(2): 213-224.
- Gkliati M. (2017), The Application of the EU-Turkey Agreement: A Critical Analysis of the Decisions of the Greek Appeals Committees, European Journal of Legal Studies 10(1): 81-123.
- Mannan M. & Gkliati M. (20 April 2017), A Co-operative Way Out of Exploitation: Reflections on the Manolada Strawberries Case. Leiden Law Blog. Leiden: Leiden University [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (17 March 2017), The outcome of the Dutch elections and extreme-right rhetoric. Interviewed by Vradelis S., Coroneos G. for Flash 96 [interview].
- Gkliati M. (2 February 2017), The explored and unexplored potential of big data and new technologies for data driven journalism. Data Driven Journalism. Maastricht: European Journalism Centre’s Data Driven Journalism initiative [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (2017), Book Review: Frontex and Non-Refoulement: The International Responsibility of the EU, by Roberta Mungianu, Common Market Law Review 54(6): 1895–1897.
- Gkliati M. (2016), From Frontex to the European Border and Coast Guard: Responsibility for human rights violations at the borders (podcast). London: Refugee Law Initiative, Univerisity of London. [audio].
- Gkliati M. (29 November 2016), Ανησυχία για τα εχέγγυα ανεξαρτησίας των νέων Επιτροπών Προσφυγών, Opinion.
- Gkliati M. (30 September 2016), The potential of big data and new technologies in human rights research. Impact of Social Sciences. London: London School of Economics and Political Science [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (29 April 2016), Elephant paths: Wider methodological transparency is needed for legal scholarship to thrive. LSE Impact blog. London: LSE: The London School of Economics and Political Science [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (20 April 2016), Ευρωπαϊκή πολιτική η στοχοποίηση των ΜΚΟ. Interviewed by Aggelidis D. for EFSYN [interview].
- Gkliati M. (20 April 2016), Ευρωπαϊκή πολιτική η στοχοποίηση των ΜΚΟ (Targeting of NGOs as EU Policy). Interviewed by Angelidis D. [interview].
- Gkliati M. (21 March 2016), Registering Humanity: The EU’s Plan to Halt Citizen-led Response to the Migration Crisis. Border Criminologies. Oxford: Oxford Law Faculty [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (26 February 2016), Traditional legal methodology: What if you have never seen an elephant before?. Leiden Law Blog. Leiden: Leiden University [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (2016), Greece creates new Asylum Committees after decisions blocking returns under the EU-Turkey deal. Leiden Law Blog. Leiden: Leiden University [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (2016), Proud to Aid and Abet Refugees: The Criminalization of ‘Flight Helpers’ in Greece. Border Criminologies. Oxford: University of Oxford [blog entry].
- Gkliati Mariana (29 April 2014), If immigration is a crime…. Leiden Law Blog [blog entry].
- Gkliati M. (14 January 2014), From Lampedusa to Brussels: behind the scenes. How strong is democracy in Europe?. Leiden Law Blog [blog entry].
- Gkliati M., annotation: Stanev and Interights (intervening) v Bulgaria 17 January 2012, no. 36760/06 2012.
- Gkliati M. (2011), Blocking Asylum: The Status of Access to International Protection in Greece, Inter-American and European Human Rights Journal 4(1): 85-117.
- Gkliati M., annotation: European Court of Human Rights [ECtHR] 26 November 2009, no. 35744/05, IHRL 2011 (Ustarkhanova v Russian Federation, Merits and just satisfaction).
- Gkliati M., annotation: Gasyak and ors v Turkey, Merits and just satisfaction, App no 27872/03, IHRL 3682 (ECHR 2009), 13th October 2009, European Court of Human Rights 13 October 2009, no. 27872/03 2009.
- Gkliati M., annotation: European Court of Human Rights [ECtHR] 5 November 2009, no. 1108/02, IHRL 2009 (Kolev and ors v Bulgaria, Merits and just satisfaction).
- Gkliati M., annotation: Toporkov v Russian Federation 1 October 2009, no. 66688/01 2009.
- member of the Steering Committee, PhD representative
- external affiliate (responsible for Frontex Observatory)
- editor, Refugee Law Initiative Working Paper Series