Moving frontiers: agency, conquest and migration during the early Islamic conquest along the upper Syr Darya between the 7th and the 10th century
Supervisors: Petra Sijpesteijn, Etienne de la Vaissière (EPHE)
- PhD student at Leiden University Institute for Area Studies (LIAS) and l'Ecole pratique des hautes études (Paris)
- Drs General History (Leiden 2010)
- BA Archaeology of the Near East (Leiden 2006)
- Extra grammar courses in Turkish, Middle-Persian, Parthian, Sogdian, Luwian, Elamite, Akkadian, Modern Standard Arabic, Russian, Khotanese, Bactrian
Summer 2012 - present: Editorial assistant of JESHO
Fall 2010: Research assistant in organising the congress Shifting Frontiers: Current Issues in the History of Early Islamic Central Asia (Leiden University, 17 - 18 December 2010)
2009 - 2011: Editorial assistant of JESHO (Journal of the Social and Economic History of the Orient)
2009: Student assistant at Praktikon, Centre for Social Research (Nijmegen University)
2009: Editorial assistant and copy editor of JESHO Jubilee Issue
2007 - 2008: Student assistant at Centre for Language and Identity (Leiden University)
2006 - present: Teaching exam courses in Geography and History
Remedial teacher: French, English, German, History, Geography
- Central Asia Initiative
- Guiding Travelers research project under the research profile Global Interactions
- The formation of Islam: A view from below
- La Mission archéologique franco-ouzbèke de Sogdiane 2011/2012
April 2011: Lecture: Trading Captives? Human Merchandise along the Northern Frontiers of the Early Islamic Hemisphere between the 8th and 10th Century, Paris, Monde Iranien et Indien, journée des études.
February 2011: Lecture: Caught between Empires and World Systems, Universiteit Leiden, PhD seminar.
March 2010: Lecture: Central Asia: Boundaries on the move, Japan, ESF-JSPS Conference: 27 Feb - 04 March 2010: Contact Zones of Empires in Asia and Europe.
June 2005 - September 2007: Chairman of DUSANE 2006 and 2007 (Dutch Symposium of the Ancient Near East).
January 2003 - July 2004: Chairman and secretary of Nabu Na’id (Studievereniging Archaeology of the Near East).
No relevant ancillary activities