Karène Sanchez Summerer is Associate Professor at Leiden University (LUCL), PI of the research project CrossRoads (project funded by The Netherlands National Research Agency NWO; 2018-2022). Her research considers the interactions between European linguistic and cultural policies and the Arab communities (1860-1948) in the Levant.
Imaging and Imagining Palestine: Photography, Modernity and the Biblical Lens, 1918–1948
A connected history of eastern Christianity in Syria and Palestine and European cultural diplomacy (1860–1948)
European Cultural Diplomacy and Arab Christians in Palestine, 1918–1948
Christian Missions and Humanitarianism in The Middle East, 1850-1950 - Ideologies, Rhetoric, and Practices
Arabic and its Alternatives
Special Issue: Missions, Powers and Arabization in Social Sciences and Missions
Linguistic and Cultural Foreign Policies of European States
Modernity, Minority, and the Public Sphere
Multilingualism, Nationhood, and Cultural Identity
Politiques, Education et Identités Linguistiques, le collège des Frères des écoles chrétiennes de Jérusalem (1922-1939)
Karène Sanchez Summerer is Associate Professor at Leiden University (LUCL). She obtained her PhDs from Leiden University and from EPHE (Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris Sorbonne).
She is the PI of the research project CrossRoads (project funded by The Netherlands National Research Agency NWO; 2017-2022).
Her research considers the interactions between European linguistic and cultural policies and the Arab communities (1860-1948) in the Levant.
She is the co-editor of the series Languages and Culture in History with W. Frijhoff, Amsterdam University Press. She is one of the coordinators of the MisSMO research program about Christian Missions and societies in the Middle East since the late 19th century (2017-2021).
- Sociolinguistic- French in the Levant
- European Cultural and Linguistic policies in the Levant
- Language acquisition and competition in European and indigenous schools in the Middle East
- French Catholic missions in the Middle East mid XIXth-mid XXth
- British and French Missions in Palestine mid XIXth-mid XXth
- Christian missions and humanitarianism in the Near East
For more information, please see CV.
- Dec. 2017- Dec. 2022: PI VIDI project, NWO (The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research), ‘European cultural diplomacy and Arab Christians in Palestine. A connected history during the formative years of the Middle East (1918-1948)’
- 2018: PI Van Morsel project, NWO (The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research), 'Between the Holy Land and the World. A connected history of Christian communities in the Near East via the unpublished photographic collections (1900-1948)'
- EFR Scholar in residence at the EFR (Ecole française de Rome); senior researcher fellowship April- July 2019
- Research Fellow/ Associate at the IFPO (Institut français du Proche Orient) Jerusalem/ Beyrouth (2018-2022)
- Jan. 2017- Dec 2021: Co applicant of the international project (in cooperation with EFR Rome, IFEA Istanbul, IFAO Cairo, IFPO Amman, FSCIRE Bologna) ‘Christian missions and societies in the Middle East: organizations, identities, heritagization (XIXth-XXIth centuries)’
- 2015-2018: Main applicant of the NWO Internationalization project ‘Engaging Europe in the Arab World: European missionaries and humanitarianism in the Middle East (1850-1970)’ (in cooperation with IEG Mainz and IISMM Paris)
- 2012-2017: Co applicant of the NWO (Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek) project “Arabic and its alternatives. Religion and Language Change in the Formative Years of the Modern Middle East (1920-1950)”
- 2008-2011: Member of the CNRS (Centre national de la recherche scientifique) ANR (Agence Nationale pour la Recherche) International project ‘Archiver: les pratiques historiographiques dans le Moyen-Orient contemporain. Faiseurs d’histoire, faiseurs d’archives’ (LAU-IIAC, UMR 8177, CNRS-EHESS-Culture)
- 2006-2008: Main applicant of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs archival project, (Archivistes sans frontières- section France), ‘Archives de l’enseignement du français en Palestine’
- Participant in the project Fonds d’Alembert (French Ministry of Foreign Affairs) ‘Etudes palestiniennes en France’ (2009)
- 2003-2006: Project of academic cooperation of FFL (French as Foreign Language) and history of French in the Levant ‘New archives and preservation of francophone heritage of the Ottoman and British Palestine’, French Ministry of Education and the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Sanchez Summerer and Sary Zananiri Eds. European Cultural Diplomacy and Arab Christians in Palestine: Between Contention and Connection Palgrave MacMillan, December 2020.
Sanchez, K. & Bourmaud P. (eds), Missions, Powers, Arabisation, special issue Social Sciences and Missions series, Brill, 2019
Sanchez, K. & Okkenhaug, I. M. (eds), Christian Missions and Humanitarianism in The Middle East, 1850-1970: Ideologies, Rhetoric, and ‘Praxis’ (Brill LSIS series, 2020).
Murre-van den Berg H., Sanchez K., and Baarda T. (eds), Arabic and its alternatives: Religious minorities and their languages in the emerging nation states of the Middle East (1920-1950) (Brill, Christians and Jews in Muslim Societies, 2019).
Sanchez, K.; ‘Missionnaires britanniques en Palestine, experts/ contre-experts du Mandat?’ in C. Verdeil, P. Bourmaud, N. Neveu (eds), Experts and Expertise in the League of Nations- Mandates: Figures, Fields, Tools (Presses de l’INALCO, 2019).
Sanchez, K. & Okkenhaug, IM, ‘The Role of Protestant missionaries during the Great Arab Revolt in Jerusalem and South Palestine (1936-1939)- towards humanity?’, British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies BJMES special issue coordinated by J. Paulmann and E. Moeller, ‘Crisis in the Middle East. Humanitarianism, Religion, Diplomacy- 1860-1950’ (2020).
Sanchez, K.; Linguistic diversity and ideologies among the Catholic minority in Mandate Palestine. Fear of confusion or powerful tool?, British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies BJMES special issue coordinated by J. Tejel and B. White, ‘The Fragments imagine the Nation’, vol 43, issue 2, 2016, 191-205.
Cultural and Colonial/ Post colonial History of France
History of the French cultural, linguistic and religious policies and interaction with the Arab world (colonial and post colonial settings); minorities in the Middle East, ‘Islam et monde arabe dans la pensée française (1860-1960)’, ‘Politique culturelle et diplomatie de la langue. La France en Orient et les identités confessionnelles’, ‘L’empire immatériel de la langue française en méditerranée orientale (milieu du XIXe-milieu du XXe siècles)’, ‘La France au miroir du Maghreb et du Levant’
History of minorities in the Middle East; European linguistic and cultural policies (colonial and post colonial settings), ‘Linguistic imperialism’, ‘Language and minorities’, ‘Language and religion’, ‘Language policy, nationalism and identity’, ‘Language and conflicts’
Latest Papers and Conferences
Ecole française de Rome, MisSMO, 1-2 October 2020, Conference ‘Missions and Preaching: Comparing and de-compartmentalizing the study of the missionary phenomenon (Middle East – North Africa- 19th-20th centuries)/’Faire mission’. Implantations, prosélytisme et identités confessionnelles au Moyen-Orient (XXe siècle)’ introduction and co-organiser
Leiden University, Imaging Palestine- Photography and social history of Palestine during the British Mandate (1918-1948), 17-18 October 2019, VIDI NWO project (Organizer; introduction; paper on the Photographic collection of the EBAF Ecole biblique et archéologiqueof Jerusalem)
Sorbonne Nouvelle University, CLIODIL /DILTEC (Didactiques des langues et des cultures), 26 June 2019, Pourquoi et comment enseigner l’histoire des méthodologies en didactique des langues et des cultures?, ‘Dans quelle mesure intégrer la recherche dans l’enseignement de l’histoire en didactique des langues ?’, invited panellist
Ecole française de Rome, Italy, MisSMO consortium project (Christian missions and societies in the Middle East XIX-XXth centuries), 03-06 June 2019, ‘Renouveaux des sources et méthodes pour l’étude du phénomène missionnaire’, (co-organizer; introduction)
German Historical Institute Rome and Ecole française de Rome, Italy, DFG network The Modern Mediterranean: Dynamics of a World Region, 1800-2000, 18-21 March 2019, ‘Mediterranean Empires of the Interwar Period: Geopolitics, Biopolitics, Chronopolitics’, paper: ‘French and British missionaries in interwar Palestine’
Leiden University, European Cultural diplomacy and Arab Christians in Palestine. A connected history during the formative years of the Middle East (1918-1948), 27-29 March 2018, VIDI NWO project (Organizer; introduction)
No relevant ancillary activities