Jinhua Wu doesn't have a desk at the university. Please send an email if you want to contact her. The above mentioned telephone number is the number of the secretariat.
Fields of interest
Chinese poetry and fiction, media, education
Education and Poetic Identity in Contemporary Chinese Poetry
Supervisors: Maghiel van Crevel and Gabrielle van den Berg
My PhD research aims to study relationship between education and poetic identity in contemporary Chinese poetry, with reference to two literary-generational groups of poets: Menglong (Misty, Obscure) and Post- Menglong poets. In contemporary China, Menglong and Post- Menglong poets have been central in establishing a new poetic tradition that has gained recognition inside China and worldwide. A striking difference in life experience between these two generations is that the former generally had limited exposure to formal education (with few of them finishing secondary school during the Cultural Revolution, and none attending university), and many of the latter had fully-fledged secondary and university educations, often specializing in Chinese and foreign literature. The project explores how this difference in life experience is reflected in the respective poetic identities of the Menglong and Post- Menglong generations, and how these respective identities relate to socio-cultural development in the broad sense, in the China of the 1980s and 1990s.
- MA in Modern and Contemporary Chinese Literature, Beijing Normal University (2008-2011)
- BA in Chinese Language and Literature, Nanjing University (2004-2008)
- Exchange student, Hong Kong Baptist University (2007)
Related Professional Experience
- Project participant, 当代文学编年史 (Contemporary Literature Chronicles), Beijing Normal University (2008-2009)
- Project participant, 心理创伤与文学治疗 (Psychological Trauma and Literary Treatment), Beijing Normal University, 2009
- Program leader,超常教育研究项目 Gifted Education Research Program, Gaosi Gifted Education School, Beijing (2010-2011)
Grants and Awards
- Leiden University-China Scholarship Council Joint Program, four-year full PhD funding (2011-2015)
- Beijing Normal University three-year full MA funding (2008-2011)
- Nanjing University-Hong Kong Baptist University Exchange Students Scholarship (2007)
Mandarin, Cantonese (native), English
《<秦腔>里的疾病隐喻》 (Illness as Metaphor in
Qinqiang). 文学界 (Literature Circles), 2011-3:32
《第三代诗歌运动始末研究》 (A Study of the Third-Generation Poetry Movement). MA thesis submitted to Beijing Normal University, China (2011).
《教师培训规划与培训课程设计分析》(A Study on Planning and Course Design of In-Service Teacher Training), 4th China-Japan Teacher Education Conference, Naruto University of Education, December 2010 (co-authored with Gong Chaohua)